TfL Draft Network Operating Strategy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
apologies for bringing yet another local matter to this board, but it's important. Indeed, it's probably, in its own way, the most important document on transport we'll see for a while.
https://consultations.tfl.gov.uk/streets/nos

TfL is charged with managing London's trains, tubes and buses. It also manages the main road network. During the Livingstone years it had a considerable impact. Now, under Johnson, there's a closing down of thought processes.

The DNOS doesn't really consider anything other than smoothing or managing traffic flow. It ignores the quality of life of people living on its road network, and has nothing much to say other than giving us the most almighty non-sequitur

The efficient management, operation and maintenance of London’s strategic road network is therefore of significant economic importance not only to the Capital, but also to the wider UK economy. At the same time, TfL needs to make sure that London’s roads can play their part as social, economic and cultural spaces, whether as locations for shopping and leisure in the city’s many town centres, or simply as places for informal social activity. This means creating streets and public spaces that are safe, attractive and accessible as well as providing the corridors along which traffic flows.
Consequently, it is imperative that the road network functions effectively both as a set of corridors for traffic movement and as a collection of places in which people live, work and play. In order to demonstrate how these objectives will successfully be achieved, Surface Transport has prepared a suite of three documents: the Network Operating Strategy (NOS), the TLRN Implementation Plan (TIP) and the Highways Asset Management Plan (HAMP).
The NOS sets out how London Streets, as part of TfL, will successfully manage and operate the Capital’s road networks within the context of the Mayor’s Transport Strategy (MTS), published in May 2010.
The TIP records TfL’s aspirations for future investment projects on the TLRN that will create safe, accessible, attractive routes and places, through which traffic can flow smoothly. It also outlines their costs and benefits and how they contribute towards the MTS.
The HAMP sets out how TfL maintains its highway assets to meet user expectations, maximises operational effectiveness and minimises asset-related risks cost effectively.
How will we know we are being successful in our approach? When Londoners get in their cars, on the bus, cycle or walk to their destinations, they will reliably know how long their journey will take them, they will be assured that they can get there safely and they will travel through some
So that's it. All of London's street life reduced to journey times. Never mind that through traffic kills shopping streets, or that a reduction in journey speed has plainly made some streets more prosperous. Never mind, either, the effect on residents of traffic volumes. All the brave thoughts of three years ago have been turned in to a simple exercise of getting people from A to B.
TfL proposes to increase the level of scrutiny of future new schemes to insist that local authorities and TfL’s own internal scheme sponsors consider all alternatives before proposing a new set of traffic signals. Proposals will be scrutinised to ensure they are creating significant wider benefits that outweigh any potential smoothing traffic flow disadvantage (eg in relation to pedestrian movement, Barclays Cycle Superhighways, Better Streets initiatives, bus priority and supporting London’s growth through facilitating access to new developments etc).
In future, TfL’s Traffic Directorate will refuse proposals for new signal installations in cases where it is evident that alternative methods of traffic control have not been considered, or where installation will cause unacceptable levels of disruption to traffic and will not produce significant safety, pedestrian, cycle, public transport or other benefits.
So the design of CS8 through Vauxhall is about smoothing traffic, to such a degree that the very arrangement that killed poor Vicky McCreery is proposed. Bus lanes are out if they slow other traffic (which is a given).
And, for the rest, there's a whole bunch of geeky stuff about satellites and supersmart traffic lights. The fundamentals are missing. Why are so many of our major arteries clogged, and why are they so miserable to be in? Where is the comparison between those streets that have Cycling Superhighways on them and those that don't - particularly in relation to prosperity? Why is it that some streets are clearly failing and others succeeding? None of that. Just the time taken by car journeys.
It's a miserable document, produced by people who lack any kind of vision or empathy with the city they're supposed to serve. Consultation is open until 15th July. Since this comes from the top I don't think there's much that can change before the next mayoral election, but at least you can contribute to the debate

jonesy

Guru
...So that's it. All of London's street life reduced to journey times. Never mind that through traffic kills shopping streets, or that a reduction in journey speed has plainly made some streets more prosperous. Never mind, either, the effect on residents of traffic volumes. All the brave thoughts of three years ago have been turned in to a simple exercise of getting people from A to B.
,,,,,Why is it that some streets are clearly failing and others succeeding? None of that. Just the time taken by car journeys.
It's a miserable document, produced by people who lack any kind of vision or empathy with the city they're supposed to serve. Consultation is open until 15th July. Since this comes from the top I don't think there's much that can change before the next mayoral election, but at least you can contribute to the debate

Not that long ago TfL used to be interested in this sort of thing:
http://webarchive.nationalarchives....tp:/www.cabe.org.uk/files/paved-with-gold.pdf

How times have changed...

Richard Mann

All-mode journey time could be a sensible (intermediate) objective. They just need to get it into their heads that more bikes = lower average journey time, because bikes take less space. And corralling pedestrians in cages wastes hours of pedestrian journey time.

So I'd hammer home that it's got to be all-mode not just car-mode.

spen666

Legendary Member
In future, TfL’s Traffic Directorate will refuse proposals for new signal installations in cases where it is evident that alternative methods of traffic control have not been considered, or where installation will cause unacceptable levels of disruption to traffic and will not produce significant safety, pedestrian, cycle, public transport or other benefits

What you quote from the article contradicts what you say.

So its all about journey times only and no consideration of safety to cyclists, pedestrians etc? The extracts you quote disagree with what you are saying.

You are letting your political views get in the way of the truth. Next time, be even more selective in your quotes so that you don't contradict your comments with extracts from the document

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
All-mode journey time could be a sensible (intermediate) objective. They just need to get it into their heads that more bikes = lower average journey time, because bikes take less space. And corralling pedestrians in cages wastes hours of pedestrian journey time.

So I'd hammer home that it's got to be all-mode not just car-mode.
I take your point. All-mode journey times are a bit tricky, though. Cycle journey times are already way below car journey times on bus lane'd routes within zones 1 to 3. And, unless I'm mistaken, there is not much by way of modal shift from car to bike - it's more from bus and tube to bike.

The real sin in this document is that it doesn't consider place-making. Using TfL's new logic the accelleration of traffic down the A23 makes Streatham and Brixton better places - well, that just ain't so.

Richard Mann

I take your point. All-mode journey times are a bit tricky, though. Cycle journey times are already way below car journey times on bus lane'd routes within zones 1 to 3. And, unless I'm mistaken, there is not much by way of modal shift from car to bike - it's more from bus and tube to bike.

Yes - bikes are already faster - which is why you reduce average journey times by getting more people on bikes: modal shift is more important to the result than single-mode journey time. If their models can't handle modal shift, then they need to constrain how they use the models, not drown themselves in model results.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I see (I think).

Of course the irony is that if you restrict the access of private cars to the network, trip times will go down - for commercial vehicles, buses, and even cyclists. As far as I know there is no commercial case for private car journeys from (say) Croydon to The City

Dan B

Disengaged member
What you quote from the article contradicts what you say.

So its all about journey times only and no consideration of safety to cyclists, pedestrians etc?
That's not what he said. He said it's all about journey times and no consideration
  • of quality of life
  • that through traffic kills shopping streets
  • that a reduction in journey speed has plainly made some streets more prosperous
  • of the effect on residents of traffic volumes
  • and other stuff
But he did not, except in passing, suggest that it was a safety argument. Though he legitimately could have done if the schemes for Blackfriars and E&C are typical of the strategy and not just isolated ****ups.
While the document (or at least the quoted extract) makes some token nods towards "safe, attractive and accessible", this is given the lie by their primary criterion of "success", which is all about the journey and nothing about the destination. What do we want from our city, a place to live, or a corridor to travel through?

I'm afraid you're letting your obvious dislike for Dell blind you to the actual substance of his objection

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
........and, for obvious reasons, I'd not read the post! Or the next one!

The Elephant and Castle thing is especially disappointing, not least because the backtracking was done on the quiet.

To the line from The Magnificent Ambersons 'the faster we are carried, the less time we have to spare' I'd add 'if everywhere is on the way to somewhere else, where is there left to go?'

the madness that is this document is akin to the madness of (iirc) PPG27 which effectively bans residential development on high streets - should councils take notice of it, which, thankfully, some don't.

stowie

Legendary Member
Christ, this document is f*ck*ng atrocious. We are all buggered.

It doesn't just consider nothing other than traffic flow, it implictly - through the measurement data and case studies - acknowledges the only thing it gives a sh!t about is private traffic flow. Buses are only really mentioned in any detail on the last couple of pages of the report, with the only bus case study being the fact that some new fancy lights reduced bus times on a route - as well as reducing private traffic times as well. Cyclists and pedestrians appear to only get a mention when the platitudes of "everyone being equal" are spewed out from time to time. Except for one paragraph where the document notes that significantly lower numbers of cyclists consulted were satisfied with the TRLN than drivers. That might because those cyclists have realised - as evidenced by this document - that TfL might not give the tiniest sh!t about them when it comes to decisions that conflict with motorists.

And as for pedestrians, the genius who wrote this report actually documented a case study on page 36 of TfL persuading a developer and borough to scrap new pedestrian crossings as "existing facilities" already were sufficient. Looking at google maps on one of them (Clapham Road near Albert square) it would appear that the reason for new facilities were a large apartment complex going up at the location, and the only way to cross the road using signals would be a fair walk to road junctions. And the document actually boasts about this. At least with cyclists we are ignored, it appears the document takes delight at actually making pedestrians' lives more difficult.

I think around page 58 we get to what TfL are really into. These pages burst with enthusiasm about acronym riddled technology and we are treated to multiple studies of SCOOT/UTC/VISSIM/BSDM etc. technology and models. TfL love nothing better than pretty graphics on their screens modelling hypothetical traffic flow and analysing effects of dynamically altering traffic lights by milliseconds. I get the impression that, instead of tackling hard questions on what we want our streets to actually do, and the environment we should aspire to, TfL are busy pushing toy cars around computer models of Trafalgar square. They may do this whilst making brroom brroom noises to enhance the realism. And they all get very excited by it all.

No-where do they seem to think about things like speed reduction (think blackfriars) may actually help vulnerable road users, but also smooth traffic flow. After all speed restrictions on the M25 aids traffic flow. 20mph would help us cyclists and pedestrians utilise this space whilst reducing the chances of accidents, enhance merging from side-roads and cut down traffic bunching at busy times. Presumably their little models aren't quite as exciting if they slow down everything.

And of course that is all without any consideration of the built environment, as Dell rightly says. When I see the people crossing from Stratford centre to the bus station my heart always sinks. Masses of people penned into refuges waiting for the brief period when the lights allow them to scamper to the otherside on a narrow crossing whilst traffic screams past at way above the speed limit. The hub of the "greenest" Olympics is basically a shopping centre (two now) and bus/train/tube stations which appear to have been randomnly flung into the middle of a motorway. This type of utter sh!t should make TfL ashamed, but presumably they would view it as a successful case study.

I am sure there are some people in TfL who are not advocates of this type of document, but TfL appears to be the enemy of the built environment. Those opposing are p!ssing into a hurricane.

<and breathe...>

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
and relax.......

you are right, Stowie, and your paragraph about page 58 effectively skewers the entire sorry mess, but this document didn't just come out of what used to be an interesting and forward-thinking body of its own accord. The new head of TfL has been appointed by Johnson (at vast expense) to produced this kind of stuff.

stowie

Legendary Member
and relax.......

you are right, Stowie, and your paragraph about page 58 effectively skewers the entire sorry mess, but this document didn't just come out of what used to be an interesting and forward-thinking body of its own accord. The new head of TfL has been appointed by Johnson (at vast expense) to produced this kind of stuff.

I barely started on the document, but blood pressure dictated a break...

I enjoyed immensely the boast on one of the case studies towards the end that 40% of TfL deliveries to their offices was by FORS-registered companies. Forgive me for being slightly less than impressed that the organisation that runs the scheme has the majority of its deliveries done by firms outside it. And, looking through the FORS scheme it appears that the requirements for entry are stringent conditions such as the haulage firm making sure their drivers are licensed and fit to drive. I would think it would be jolly if every haulage firm in London could manage to make sure its drivers aren't unlicensed, pissed or high, and speeding whilst using a mobile. Surely if TfL put their minds to it, they could enforce the FORS requirements as almost mandatory?

The problem with this document is that it takes major through routes and uses old standard to measure effectiveness of the road. Without once considering that in London many large through routes are - inconveniently - also major shopping and town centres. Urban planning has seemed to deal with this conflict by ignoring the latter use completely, and this document proves TfL are still doing the same thing.

As for TfL itself,I have never really been hugely impressed. I cannot say for sure what it was like under Ken, maybe the tone was different. Boris certainly has been a disappointment when it comes to treatment of streets.

Tommi

I was just reading the document when this caught my eye in "Managing demand and achieving modal shift":

However, these more strategic measures are not the focus of this document, which concentrates on the range of more locally targeted measures that can be applied at specific locations on the road network (eg the CMAs) to provide localised traffic demand relief to improve reliability and/or network resilience. TfL’s approach to these more tactical elements of travel demand management work is focused on:
I'm confused.. strategic measures are not the focus of Network Operating Strategy document? In which document would they be focused on then? Network Operating Strategy Strategy? Should I beware the leopard?

Top Bottom