Thank you... From a horse rider...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

splat

As a total non- cyclist (I've had a flat since last summer... Can someone tell me how to fix it?) but someone who regularly rides their horse on the roads, I often hear people complain, or see threads about the general evilness of you people on silent horse eating monsters, and I wanted to take a minute to recognise the wonderfulness that is actually the majority of cyclists.

This summer I have not had a single cyclist pass me that hasn't let me know, by bell or voice, that they are approaching. Every one has then passed nice a wide around me, and many have slowed down too. Maybe it's just around my area, but any time anyone starts on a cyclist rant, I always stick up for you!

So thanks again to all the great cyclists I've met... And yes, I do carry my appreciation over to when I'm driving!

James10

I'm careful to slow down around horses but what's the dealio, are they just scared easily? Or does the horse see the bike as a bit like a predator because it doesn't make much noise? Presumably cars pass horses at considerable speed.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
As a total non- cyclist (I've had a flat since last summer... Can someone tell me how to fix it?) but someone who regularly rides their horse on the roads, I often hear people complain, or see threads about the general evilness of you people on silent horse eating monsters, and I wanted to take a minute to recognise the wonderfulness that is actually the majority of cyclists.

This summer I have not had a single cyclist pass me that hasn't let me know, by bell or voice, that they are approaching. Every one has then passed nice a wide around me, and many have slowed down too. Maybe it's just around my area, but any time anyone starts on a cyclist rant, I always stick up for you!

So thanks again to all the great cyclists I've met... And yes, I do carry my appreciation over to when I'm driving!

that's nice to hear.

regarding the flat... just buy a new inner tube and put it in, then pump it up.

Regarding cyclists passing horses... some claim that ringing a bell can startle a horse, is this generally true in your experience, or only for the odd nervous nag? I've also read that a bicycle's tyres also emit a 'noise' out of our range of hearing, that can also startle horses, although how they know this i don't know.... what say you Splat?

sheffgirl

I've not had to overtake a horserider yet, but I have come across a few and I have to say they have all been very nice, they always say 'hi' :biggrin:
I did come across one rider in the woods once and I stopped and dismounted to let her and the horse pass, which she thanked me for, she said I didn't have to stop but I was glad of the rest anyway :laugh:

Siegfried

Very glad to hear splat's positive experience. Internet fora tend to skim off the nasty experiences from life which often are not wholly representative of folks's everyday lives and make it seem like everyone is at each other's throats all the time. In the area where I live and ride there are a lot of horses and a lot of cyclists and everyone seems to get along fine.

I think if I was splat and had someone to carry me up hills though I would forget about fixing the puncture on the bike and spend the money on sugar lumps for the horse in the hope it would continue doing all the work.

OP
OP
S

splat

Thanks for the tips about punctures! Now I'll have to get out and about on my bike!

Re: voice v bell discussion... I'd agree that voice is best, but something is always better than nothing, so I really don't mind which... The horses are more likely to be spooked by a bell than voice, but that's still preferable to the 'horse kicking out at cyclist then dumping me in a ditch' alternative that comes when a bike suddenly appears! And given that many of your bikes cost the same as my horse, I'm pretty sure none of us want our chosen method of transport broken!

It's been a long time since I've met a horse rider whilst out cycling. I've often felt a bit nervous when I've come up behind a horse rider because I've never been sure of the best way to make my presence known to them; it's nice to know voice is best.

Whenever I've met a horse rider going in the opposite direction to me I've always been happy to stop/cycle really slowly whilst they go by and chat to them, partly so the horse knows I'm a human & not some kind of prey :smile:

Top Bottom