The 20's Plenty campaign

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
mickle

mickle

innit

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
it's always worth checking to see if your local Authority is consulting on it's Local Implementation Plan. If you think that 20 mph limits would make your borough or city a safer place, that's the point at which to get involved.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Whilst I fully support 20mph zones in residential areas, and think we'll eventually have to move towards that... their graph of the rise in ped deaths is kind of misleading. The figures they quote from 2000-4 show a drop by 5%. Not a great deal. Then from 04 to 08 theres only a 2% increase.

2% is not that significant and is something that the anti-20-nutters will pick up on and make an issue of.

CotterPin

Islington's side roads all have 20mph speed limits. There have been suggestions that the Holloway Road (A1) would have a 20mph speed limit as part of the cycle superhighway proposals for that road

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Snorri - Jenny Jones is fond of saying that she'd extend the 20mph limit all the way to Inverness. Does that make you feel a little left out???

jinkler

As a keen motorist AND cyclist, I can only agree with this as long as it's confined to side streets, and not main roads. We're heading back to the dark ages otherwise...

Compulsory retesting every 5 or 10 years of drivers would make much more sense, and having more spot checks in place to get the damned uninsured motorists off the streets.

And as Riverman says, you can cruise the streets at 20mph by pedal power alone! :biggrin:

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
As a keen motorist AND cyclist, I can only agree with this as long as it's confined to side streets, and not main roads. We're heading back to the dark ages otherwise...

Compulsory retesting every 5 or 10 years of drivers would make much more sense, and having more spot checks in place to get the damned uninsured motorists off the streets.

And as Riverman says, you can cruise the streets at 20mph by pedal power alone! :biggrin:

..or gravity. :thumbsup:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
20 is plenty? Come on.. hands up! How many people here have gone over 20 on their bicycles? :tongue:

The speed limit sign doesn't apply to cyclists only to Motor vehicles, though you could still be done for cycling without caution or dangerous cycling what ever the correct term is. If the world slowed down to 20 mph it might be quite nice to slow to that pace anyway.

In the areas it has been applied in Bristol it mostly applies to side streets but it does also affect some main roads too. Just think of it from the point of view of pedestrians who are on a shopping street that they are unable to cross because the traffic is speeding by. There is a tendency to shop along one side of the road only.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
The speed limit sign doesn't apply to cyclists only to Motor vehicles, though you could still be done for cycling without caution or dangerous cycling what ever the correct term is. If the world slowed down to 20 mph it might be quite nice to slow to that pace anyway.

In the areas it has been applied in Bristol it mostly applies to side streets but it does also affect some main roads too. Just think of it from the point of view of pedestrians who are on a shopping street that they are unable to cross because the traffic is speeding by. There is a tendency to shop along one side of the road only.

I think the remit for 20 has been described as any pedestrian heavy area, or where children and elderly may be crossing or using the road. So yes, shopping districts, cul de sacs and school roads.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
There was a stationary lorry in my way today in St Werburghs and as I passed it, I realised it had just painted on a 20 mph sign on the road ... nice and fresh - wasn't there this morning.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I think the remit for 20 has been described as any pedestrian heavy area, or where children and elderly may be crossing or using the road. So yes, shopping districts, cul de sacs and school roads.

It's more extensive than that. The remit you've described is more the current state of things where a few lucky estates have 20mph limits, small sections of school roads etc. 20's plenty is a very different state of things to this. Some interpretations of it is that all tertiary roads would be 20, some secondary roads would be and even some sections of primary road if necessary.

Top Bottom