The 20's Plenty campaign

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Has anybody ever been fined or prosecuted for exceeding the 20mph limit. Seems to be largely ignored to me. (even more ignored than the 30 limit). May be it slows some up from 40 to 30.

Apart from in Royal Parks I'm not aware of it. In my experience compliance tends to have a mild link to how big the area is - contrary to what the ranters say it's always been the shorter sections of road that don't have compliance and bigger ones that do. The ranters and ravers often claim it's the other way round and use this as justification for no more 20mph limits!

jinkler

It's more extensive than that. The remit you've described is more the current state of things where a few lucky estates have 20mph limits, small sections of school roads etc. 20's plenty is a very different state of things to this. Some interpretations of it is that all tertiary roads would be 20, some secondary roads would be and even some sections of primary road if necessary.

That was my interpretation of it as well, widespread 20mph limits, not just on quiet, residential sideroads. Which I, personally, don't agree with (widespread that is, residential sideroads I rarely do above 20 mph anyway, too many damn inconsiderate parked cars, or speedhumps!)

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
the 20mph thing started up in Morden in South London, and it was part of a wider policy of calming traffic in residential areas - which became known as 'home zones'.

It's spread in a variety of ways. Portsmouth has, I think, the most comprehensive 20mph limit

http://www.dft.gov.u...oneresearch.pdf
... os the link to the the recent Atkins report on Portsmouth - for those of you in a hurry I commend table 3.3 on page 12 (page 16 of the pdf file). There's been an effect on the top end speeds.

There's also been a drop in casualties. Page 17 of the report (page 21 of the pdf file) is interesting, particularly with regard to aggressive driving

And Bristol may be going the same way
http://www.lcc.org.uk/index.asp?PageID=2183

PBancroft

Whilst I fully support 20mph zones in residential areas, and think we'll eventually have to move towards that... their graph of the rise in ped deaths is kind of misleading. The figures they quote from 2000-4 show a drop by 5%. Not a great deal. Then from 04 to 08 theres only a 2% increase.

2% is not that significant and is something that the anti-20-nutters will pick up on and make an issue of.

Tell that to the 2%...

thomas

the tank engine
In Norwich they have patronising signs with a boy called Max saying "Max says 20 is the max"....

jeez, car drivers aren't all that stupid. It's quite patronising really.

Top Bottom