The Bubi bikes of Budapest - another good reason to go!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
No need for words really. I think they are still being trialled.

(MOL is Hungary's biggest petroleum company!)

20140516_075518_zps50c79b77.jpg

20140516_074756_zps30c90762.jpg

20140516_075645_zpsb785e513.jpg

20140516_075438_zpscd709e11.jpg

sazzaa

I was on hols in Budapest last summer, and after seeing how they drive, wouldn't even consider cycling on roads there. Even my OH, who drives all over the world, commented that Hungarians were the worst he's seen (although he's in Saudi now so that could change). Had one taxi ride where I actually thought I was going to die, and was sick when I got out of the car!

sazzaa

Budapest is a cool place though, and much bigger than I thought it was going to be! Check out the ruin pubs and make sure you get a legit taxi driver (they're keen to rip you off by about 10x the normal price if you get a dodgy one). I can't remember the name of their local version of champers but it's lovely, and pretty much all of their beer is good.

Budapest is a cool place though, and much bigger than I thought it was going to be! Check out the ruin pubs and make sure you get a legit taxi driver (they're keen to rip you off by about 10x the normal price if you get a dodgy one). I can't remember the name of their local version of champers but it's lovely, and pretty much all of their beer is good.
Budapest is an awesome place to visit, definitely want to go back there at some point in the future.

Mind you, it was touching 40 degrees C when I visited...don't think I would want to attempt to ride a heavy Boris bike in that weather!

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
A wonderful place, I was there just a week before Christmas 2012 and the atmosphere was fantastic. Echo some other comments though,and would not like to cycle on the roads...

sazzaa

Budapest is an awesome place to visit, definitely want to go back there at some point in the future.

Mind you, it was touching 40 degrees C when I visited...don't think I would want to attempt to ride a heavy Boris bike in that weather!

I was there during the heatwave last summer, it was insane heat!

Oh yes many nights were spent in the ruin bars/clubs. Dirt cheap and far more interesting than drinking establishments in Western Europe. Although avoid the palinka, it's vile.

Just as well that we were staying out until 3/4am each night, it was impossible to sleep in a room with no air conditioning.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
Very few medium-priced hotels in Europe have genuine air conditioning, it's usually "cool air".

Newer hotels might have a split AC unit in the room if you're lucky.

sazzaa

Very few medium-priced hotels in Europe have genuine air conditioning, it's usually "cool air".

Newer hotels might have a split AC unit in the room if you're lucky.

I've found loads! My top budget for euro hotels is £150 a night and air con is a must for me, haven't had a problem finding places for loads less than my budget! (done two euro trips in past couple of years, visiting about 10 countries)

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
That price will get you central AC. If you booked early enough online you could stay at the absolutely stunning, newly renovated Crowne Plaza in Belgrade for that. Truly a superb hotel; I stayed there last week and was blown away by the place.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
You definitely need a driver in Lagos, if you drive yourself and something kicks off it can cost you a lot. Not to mention the sheer exhaustion caused by the conditions.

br5968

Interesting to see MOL sponsoring this. Their petrol stations all had bike stations (tools, air etc) when I was at Lake Balaton last summer. Seemed pretty incongruous for a petrol company, but I guess the shop end of the business must do well enough.

Agree Budapest would make challenging cycling, but I was impressed by the number of people having a go.

Top Bottom