The Chemo Effect ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

xxDarkRiderxx

Veteran
It is over a year now since my BMT (Bone Marrow Transplant) and other chemo related treatment that is required to prepare your body for the BMT and other cancer related issues.

I started riding again April/May this year with very short rides and eventually built up enough courage to rejoin the cycling club that I had been a part of before my cancer treatment. Now I was a keen cyclist before and did find my first club run after treatment hard, even though this was with the steady group (which I always ride with), which average about 12/15Mph

Prior to my illness I weighed 13.5Stones (85kg) now I weigh 10.7Stones (67Kg). After 13+ chemo cycles I would have thought the toxic damage done to my heart lungs would mean that I would never regain a level of fitness I once had. I actually now feel stronger and don't fatigue like I used during long rides of 2 hours or more like I used to. Ok, so the benefit of dropping 2+ stones obviously is helping, but I am so enjoying the cycling more than I did before and the hills are so easy now. Is dropping so much weight so effective? or is there a chemo effect?

Mrs M

Guru
Don't know about any chemo effect but well done on your recovery and regaining fitness. :smile::smile::bicycle:

13 rider

Guru
What a heart warming story about your recovery . Power to weight , less weight you need less power for same results so even though you will have lost power your lower weight compensates . You have probably changed your mental outlook after a scare so you will enjoy things more . Well done and keep on enjoying your riding .

There is a lot of evidence, and also personal anecdata that the attitude of the individual is as (if not more) important than the treatments themselves

Congratulations o your success and Chapeau to your personal achievements

Wafer

Veteran
Whatever the reason, 'kin brilliant that you've got to that stage. Can't imagine what it's like to go through but my dad had a bone marrow transplant and chemo and it was difficult seeing the effect. Long may your new found fitness continue.

Herbie

Veteran
It is over a year now since my BMT (Bone Marrow Transplant) and other chemo related treatment that is required to prepare your body for the BMT and other cancer related issues.

I started riding again April/May this year with very short rides and eventually built up enough courage to rejoin the cycling club that I had been a part of before my cancer treatment. Now I was a keen cyclist before and did find my first club run after treatment hard, even though this was with the steady group (which I always ride with), which average about 12/15Mph

Prior to my illness I weighed 13.5Stones (85kg) now I weigh 10.7Stones (67Kg). After 13+ chemo cycles I would have thought the toxic damage done to my heart lungs would mean that I would never regain a level of fitness I once had. I actually now feel stronger and don't fatigue like I used during long rides of 2 hours or more like I used to. Ok, so the benefit of dropping 2+ stones obviously is helping, but I am so enjoying the cycling more than I did before and the hills are so easy now. Is dropping so much weight so effective? or is there a chemo effect?

That's great to hear that you've made a great recovery and enjoying your rides again

Chuffed for you Darkrider....fab to hear good news like that ....keep on keeping on

OP
OP
xxDarkRiderxx

xxDarkRiderxx

Veteran
Thank you all for your kind comments. I just hope to inspire anyone going through any illness who loves cycling to never give up.

Ride on ^_^

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'm glad that you are making such a good recovery!

I lost a lot of weight after serious illness and relapse in 2012/2013 and I am noticing the same thing as you. My breathing is not quite back to where I would like it to be, but that is more than made up for by not having to cart an extra 60 pounds of fat about with me.

Top Bottom