The Cockswell INN

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yenrod

Any of you 'orrible lot got any good Pub names..

BTW the header is an actual' and was in Anfield (Liverpool) but they had to change it due to complaints ! :biggrin:

No, but I do have this ABSOLUTE BELTER of a road sign, from somewhere in Wiltshire:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
No, but it brings to mind an old Max Miller line:

"Is this Cockfosters?"
"The name's Miller, ma'am."

Globalti

Legendary Member
How about the Idle Working Men's Club?

2643.jpg

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
and the Bel Hagg over there as well.

Rob S

ArDee said:
Near here is the village of Ugly and it has Woman's institute which is, yep you've guessed it, The Ugly Woman’s Institute.

Do you mean Ugley?

I don't think Upper Twatt (in Orkney) can be beaten for place names....although Burn Of Twatt (in Shetland) also tickles me....so to speak :ohmy:

PaulB

Legendary Member
I always liked the name "We Three Loggerheads" between Ruthin and Wrecsam but I did a sportive there last year and went in for a pint after the event. I have to say it didn't live up to the great expectations I had of it.

There ar a number of "Black Boy" pubs around here which had pictures of a woman scubbing a black child in a tub.....

Traditional story of a seafarers wife who had been "less than faithful" when her husband was at sea. The offspring was black, hence the scrubbing the child to convince the returning spouse that it was his and concieved during the last shore leave.

There are often complaints about racism, but these are counter argued in that it is a traditional morality tale.

Top Bottom