The dangers of high speed trains

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Dangers of level crossings.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Usual Daily Mail crap. There are no level crossings on high speed lines, so the fact that it was a TGV and could travel at up to 300km/h is irrelevant here. It would have been travelling at exactly the same speed as a conventional train.

Usual Daily Mail crap. There are no level crossings on high speed lines, so the fact that it was a TGV and could travel at up to 300km/h is irrelevant here. It would have been travelling at exactly the same speed as a conventional train.
There are level crossings on high speed lines, this crossing is manned as are others on this line I spoke with the attended so the information is correct, didn't ask which line but I think its part of the main East Line.
The other crossings near by on other lines, are not manned.
fenwickln.JPG

Capture.JPG

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
There are indeed level crossing on the ECML. That isn't a high-speed line though and you aren't allowed to do 200mph on it.

The TGV, and HS1 here in the UK run at full speed only on a specially constructed line that has shallower gradients, wider curves and also no level crossings. This train would have been on a standard speed line and would have been subject to the standard speed limit for that line so the DM are being silly (as normal)

There are indeed level crossing on the ECML. That isn't a high-speed line though and you aren't allowed to do 200mph on it.

The TGV, and HS1 here in the UK run at full speed only on a specially constructed line that has shallower gradients, wider curves and also no level crossings. This train would have been on a standard speed line and would have been subject to the standard speed limit for that line so the DM are being silly (as normal)
So what is regarded as high speed, I would have thought anything over 100mph is regarded as high speed.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
In this usage, a High Speed Line is one designed, built and reserved specifically for TGVs, with no level crossings and capable of 200 mph running. TGVs can run on other lines, but only at 'normal' train speeds.
High Speed One is a high speed line. The ECML isn't.
It comes from the French LGV - Ligne a Grand Vitesse.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)

Good point, other than high speed lines can have much steeper gradients than normal lines due to the high power/weight ratio of high speed trains.

sidevalve

Über Member
As to whether there are or are not crossings on HS lines I note it was a BRITISH rider. Now sorry but trains do NOT suddenly appear - pull out on you - reverse into you- turn left turn right etc etc so how did a normal [so called inteligent] rider simply ride infront of a train ? Did he not see the rails, did he not bother to look at all ? I must admit I get a little tired of the "Oh it must be someone else's fault - we need more warning/signs/wrapping in cotton wool and leading through life by the hand". Stopping, looking up and down the tracks then waiting would have taked maybe 2- 3 mins - is it such a problem ?

StuartG

slower but further
My experience is that when the signal goes on a French crossing the train is already in sight. You would be mad to even think about chancing it. Here the delay is normally so long the temptation is always there. So a Brit might get caught out thinking there would be a little more wiggle room.

colly

Re member eR
It's very sad, especially for relatives of the dead man, just the same as when someone gets killed in a road traffic accident.

The fact remains though, that when a train weighing several hundred tonnes is belting along at 100mph or more it isn't exactly being stealthy. All anyone has to do is LOOK. You can see for hundreds of yards in either direction. Trains are BIG, something like 9ft wide and 12 tall, they make a lot of noise, the ground shakes, the rails sing. People who step out in front of trains are, by and large, not paying attention.

Just come across this - sorry for the cyclist and their family of course but got to agree with the folks on the thread brave enough to point out that you only have to look. Different for kids though.
I used to cycle with the CTC around the midlands area and can confirm that there are level crossings. And I don't care what the train nerd techie definition of high speed is, those East Coast trains can be seriously fast. Even stood behind a level crossing barrier once I distinctly remember being taken aback by the speed. I also seem to remember a totally unmanned pedestrian crossing but cannot be totally sure that this was on the ECM line and even if it was I have a feeling it may have been closed. The east Coast line is a seriously fast and good line when the power lines haven't come down. Be careful out there.

subaqua

What’s the point
As to whether there are or are not crossings on HS lines I note it was a BRITISH rider. Now sorry but trains do NOT suddenly appear - pull out on you - reverse into you- turn left turn right etc etc so how did a normal [so called inteligent] rider simply ride infront of a train ? Did he not see the rails, did he not bother to look at all ? I must admit I get a little tired of the "Oh it must be someone else's fault - we need more warning/signs/wrapping in cotton wool and leading through life by the hand". Stopping, looking up and down the tracks then waiting would have taked maybe 2- 3 mins - is it such a problem ?

actually they do . Network rail has done studies on hearing trains coming and in 2 out of 3 attempts the subject got direction and speed wrong . was on Bang goes theory ( Not big bang theory) earlier this week.
in 2-3 minutes a train travelling at 70mph has done close to 3-4 miles not easy to see that far and reference a moving object , and its speed. even at a mile away it is going to be on you rather sharpish .

removing level crossings is sadly rather expensive

Soltydog

Legendary Member
It's surprising how quiet an approaching train is, but that doesn't excuse some people's stupidity :sad:
Kids walking along tracks with hoods up and/or earphones in, cars & pedestrians jumping red lights at crossings are all too common on the railway network

Top Bottom