The essential guide for new commuters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

greekonabike

President of the 'Democratic Republic' of GOAB
I've recently started riding again after several years of not being on a bike. I never really cycled on the roads and when I did they were always roads with minimal traffic. I found this guide really helpful so I'd like to say thank you to everyone who made a contribution.

GOAB

AnthonyC

Regular
I've recently started riding again after several years of not being on a bike. I never really cycled on the roads and when I did they were always roads with minimal traffic. I found this guide really helpful so I'd like to say thank you to everyone who made a contribution.

GOAB
Were your last trips in Greece? In that case you might pick up some different commuter cycle clothing as well ;)

greekonabike

Were your last trips in Greece? In that case you might pick up some different commuter cycle clothing as well ;)

I was actually born in the UK and have never ridden in my homeland, it's on the bucket list. I've heard a rumour that Greece were melting down old bikes to use for currency and metal bats. Luckily my families from Cyprus where the bikes are surviving by hiding in the dense bush and mountainous regions.

GOAB

greekonabike

For now....I fear that soon all the old Raleighs will be herded up and loaded into the smelter. When the option is bicycle or goat you choose goat.

GOAB

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Somewhat relevant and humorous take on cycle lanes for some new commuters....
giphy.gif

Even though it is in the U.S, the UK doesnt have it really that much better as far as some councils are concerned. All they need is a bit of possibly segregated path thats painted green so they can tick it off the list of things they did. Some of them dont seem to care if there are all sorts of obstructions and potholes on it.

your mileage may vary based on your location and no police officers here in ANY county will give you a FPN for not being in the cycle lane as there are no laws stating that cyclists have to be there.

Get out there and ride safe.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
no police officers here in ANY county will give you a FPN for not being in the cycle lane as there are no laws stating that cyclists have to be there.
Sadly police have issued fixed penalty notices for cycling non-offences - two examples I remember are cycling across a Toucan crossing or cycling into a street which is only no-entry for motor vehicles (indicated by the slightly unobvious flying-motorcycle sign) - but they are usually dismissed at a police station. They'd never stand up in court because like in @RoubaixCube's example, there's no law supporting them.

natnatroswell22

Im new to commuting and I find this very helpful :smile: Thanks for this guide.

U

UrbanCircus

I find the best advice I have for commuting is to stay visible!
You can be as careful as you can, if the driver does not see you, its a problem.

Mod Note:
self promoting kickstarter link has been removed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hoppedrocker19

There is a law here in Pennsylvania that motorists have to stay four feet away from you...not everyone obeys it.Not many people commute around here,they consider a bicycle a toy.They have bike Lanes in the city but i live outside the city and I'm on my own safetywise.I have had some close calls with vehicles getting within a foot of me.

Top Bottom