The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Good shout, but although I loved Duncan McKenzie and have great memories of him, he wasn't at Everton that long (when Gordon Lee succeeded Billy Bingham, his days were always numbered) so perhaps he just didn't play enough to work himself as deeply into my teenage football hero bank as Andy King.

He was a hell of a player though, there were recently some old repeats of FA Cup ties on TV, one of which was the 1977 semi when Clive Thomas made his infamous decision to rob us of victory, my son who was born in the late 80s and had never seen McKenzie play, watched it and texted me to say, "....that Duncan McKenzie looked a hell of a player......" When he left Everton he went to Chelsea and not long after played for them against us at Goodison, he scored a good goal for them and the cheer was almost as loud as for a home goal.

Sad news about Andy King. I saw Duncan McKenzie play for Blackburn Rovers in the late 70's early 80's. Can you remember this?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7MxcmujAlk

AndyRM

XOXO
Sad news about Andy King. I saw Duncan McKenzie play for Blackburn Rovers in the late 70's early 80's. Can you remember this?

Is that video a game of Spot The Ball?

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
This is unreal. I'm a 48 year old semi-grown man and I couldn't sleep last night for thinking about us playing in the cup final tomorrow, I doubt I'll sleep tonight either. I can hardly bear this tension, we're massive underdogs but I keep thinking ... what if????

COYB

the_craig

Veteran
This is unreal. I'm a 48 year old semi-grown man and I couldn't sleep last night for thinking about us playing in the cup final tomorrow, I doubt I'll sleep tonight either. I can hardly bear this tension, we're massive underdogs but I keep thinking ... what if????

COYB

Have a good day. Just don't get too drunk before the match. I was planning on going tomorrow but we've a playoff tie to kill off on Sunday...

How refreshing is it to have cup finals without the gruesome twosome?

Dayvo

just passin' through

He used to jump over minis, too.

106526788.jpg

AndyRM

XOXO
Glasgow will be bouncing tomorrow with both sets of fans mixing and having a good time.

Bang on. When Hibs thrashed us back in 2007, the atmosphere before, during and after the game was friendly and relaxed with minimal police involvement.

It was completely different in 2012 when we beat Celtic. The police were stupidly heavy handed with both sets of fans and the atmosphere was poisonous, particularly after the game. Not helped by the more adventurous Killie fans reacting to our unshakeable tag of being 'Huns without the bus pass'...

Good luck and enjoy! From what I've seen both sides play a reasonably hoofbaw free style of game so hopefully it will be good viewing (he says, jinxing it into a miserable kick fest).

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
School was hell on Monday...

I think I remember him scoring in front of the Kop from a similar position but I can't find the footage. Maybe it was just a nightmare.
RIP

That game might have been in March 1979, it was 1-1 and although I was there, I can't remember the goals. I was at the back of the Anfield Road terracing so if he scored into the Kop I might well not have seen the goal anyway.

Another game King scored in against Liverpool was in October 1979 in a 2-2 draw at Anfield (Mick Lyons scored 2 own goals that day). That time I was near the front of the Anfield Road terracing just to the left of the goal, King scored an equaliser into the Anny Rd goal and celebrated just in front of us, I have an incredibly vivid image of him facing us with his fists clenched in celebration - a magic moment (among many other not so magic moments I can recall against the reds). Can't find any footage of either game, although there is an interview on YouTube with Terry McDermott talking about him and Garry Stanley both getting sent off for fighting in that game.

AndyRM

XOXO
Not a great game in the end. Very nervous and a disastrous mistake for the winner. Still, ICT are a great success story in fitba.

Bring on Englandshire's effort. I've got mates on both sides but my closest is on the Villa side so that's who I'm backing.

MarkF

Guru
Wow! I don't think we'll ever see anything like Messi again, we are lucky to be alive to see him. He's not normal, his legs are too short for his body and he's a pipsqueak that can't run "right", his touch and thought process are superhuman, how does he nutmeg people like that, as if it's just part of the control touch?

Top Bottom