The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dayvo

just passin' through
And the results keep on getting better: 4-0 at St. Mary's. :smile: Wot cheer!

13 rider

Guru
Were still top of the league . Can anyone predict anything this mad mad season
Good old Southampton didn't see that coming
Go foxes

Last edited:

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Petr Cech was on Football Focus talking to David James- in expectation of the former taking the latter's PL clean sheet record. Another time then....

gavgav

Guru
Shrewsbury v Fleetwood was interesting in the howling gale yesterday! Windiest conditions I've ever seen football in.

Firstly - our goalie tried to wallop a back pass up the field and because it went so high it came back at him and out for a corner :eek:

Secondly - there was an almighty bang and creaking sound in the 1st half, followed by the roof of the away end flexing with a ripple effect in the wind!! Apparently it's designed to do that......hmmmm, didn't look safe to me :blink:

PaulB

Legendary Member
Were still top of the league (at least until Arsenal result) hope the large pop over Anfield was not a bubble bursting ? .It's been an amazing ride only .Man City on Tuesday to worry about now
Go foxes
All credit to Leicester. When you're top at Christmas, it's no fluke so the Foxes efforts have been like a breath of fresh air to the top division. They were bottom of the league this time last year and not even in it the year before so there is hope even when money seems to rule everything.

We were Sat with a group of Leicester fans in our local before the game yesterday and what a nice group of lads they were too!

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
All credit to Leicester. When you're top at Christmas, it's no fluke so the Foxes efforts have been like a breath of fresh air to the top division. They were bottom of the league this time last year and not even in it the year before so there is hope even when money seems to rule everything.

We were Sat with a group of Leicester fans in our local before the game yesterday and what a nice group of lads they were too!

This is a misnomer. Whilst far from the biggest spenders in the EPL, Leicester have spent a lot of money rebuilding their squad over the last two seasons - over £40m net which is not small beer. This is way more than they have ever spent before so you would expect an improvement in performance from them.

They also have a current wage bill of £36m per season. Again this is at the lower end of the EPL spectrum so their current position is highly creditable but...they are still spending an awful lot of money to grow their team.

They had 6 or 7 players earning in excess of £2m pa last year and Ulloa/Vardy are on around £4m pa.

If they make it into the CL next year, and best of luck to them achieving that, then they will need to bump up expenditure even more to be even remotely competitive. And I can't imagine them not giving it a shot either and I wish them well too.

For better or worse, money rules in football and is a prerequisite in the top flight.

13 rider

Guru
This is a misnomer. Whilst far from the biggest spenders in the EPL, Leicester have spent a lot of money rebuilding their squad over the last two seasons - over £40m net which is not small beer. This is way more than they have ever spent before so you would expect an improvement in performance from them.

They also have a current wage bill of £36m per season. Again this is at the lower end of the EPL spectrum so their current position is highly creditable but...they are still spending an awful lot of money to grow their team.

They had 6 or 7 players earning in excess of £2m pa last year and Ulloa/Vardy are on around £4m pa.

If they make it into the CL next year, and best of luck to them achieving that, then they will need to bump up expenditure even more to be even remotely competitive. And I can't imagine them not giving it a shot either and I wish them well too.

For better or worse, money rules in football and is a prerequisite in the top flight.
Yes completely agree the new owners have backed both managers with big money signings . We seem to have got into the pl a the right time due to the increase in TV money last years survival was a major money saver . People think just because vardy (1 million) and riyad (300k) were bargins all the squad was but we spent 9 million on krameric who can't get a game

mark st1

Plastic Manc

image.png

Top Bottom