The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I can live with mercenaries, but I do have this quaint belief that players should turn up for work.
I was really surprised that no salary sanctions were imposed or attempts to recover the so called loyalty bonus. Well not that appeared in the media.

J1888

Über Member
Fantastic stuff from Brendan Rogers' men - 22 league games, 21 wins and 1 draw which was back in August (last minute equaliser from ICT), GD of +45.

Yes it's a poor quality league in comparison to a good few other European leagues, but that level of consistency is brilliant.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
upload_2017-1-30_12-20-12.png

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
The club were going to keep him and let him stew, but the senior players had had enough of him and didn't want him back. Good riddance, just another mercenary with no feeling for the club.

It's a sad state of affairs these days that, despite all the badge-slapping, club allegiance is so transitory or even non-existent.

It's a bit of a two way street with club and players though - most clubs are downright mercenary too.

As a serious question - how would we define a truly non-mercenary player in the modern game? Any examples of them?

Chromatic

Legendary Member
It's a sad state of affairs these days that, despite all the badge-slapping, club allegiance is so transitory or even non-existent.

It's a bit of a two way street with club and players though - most clubs are downright mercenary too.

As a serious question - how would we define a truly non-mercenary player in the modern game? Any examples of them?

Matt LeTissier maybe? I'm sure he could have gone to a 'bigger' club for a bigger wage.

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
Paul Scholes ?

U

User482

And as much as people hate him. John Terry

He could have gone to Manchester City for big bucks but chose to stay with a lower wage.

Hmmm, but would he have stayed if Chelsea were average? Ditto Scholes and Man U.

U

User482

How about Francesco Totti? He surely would've won a lot more domestically if he hadn't stayed at Roma.

AndyRM

XOXO
Fantastic stuff from Brendan Rogers' men - 22 league games, 21 wins and 1 draw which was back in August (last minute equaliser from ICT), GD of +45.

Yes it's a poor quality league in comparison to a good few other European leagues, but that level of consistency is brilliant.

When your playing budget is greater than every other team in the country combined (other than Rangers) what do you expect?

Still, congratulations to Brendan. He's going to win something and justify his own hype. Sort of.

Top Bottom