The Fridays Tour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuartG

slower but further
You may recall that Louise left us in Kinross to do the Mille Alba. Here is her report which shows just how lucky we were to be pushing on north and not turning back into the eye of the storm ...
http://anerleybc.org/audaxed/

Jimmygee

Regular
Belated comments as I could not get my quill pen to work on this screen.
Thanks to Simon for organisation and navigation skills as always.
Thanks to Iain for being the best baggage handler and thumbs upper. Also for the free history lessons in the van on the way home.
Best bit; Rebecca telling me to get even closer
Worst bit ; Closer to Titus's rear wheel.
Thanks for all the free tows from Titus, Ross, Rebecca, the Tandemistos and others and to Greg who was always there when spirits were flagging.
Worst fear; not making day 4.
Best achievement making it through day 4 without walking.
Crowning glory seeing my new, perfect 6 day old grandaughter on Sunday evening

All in all the best OAP outing I've ever been on!

Sketchley

Über Member
What to say that hasn't been said before? What to say?
OK, a bit of stream-of-conciousness stuff.

The frequent warp drive moments making up for the climbs. I fancy going back to Carter Bar just for that Factor 9.8 descent into Jedburgh again (sorry, I am a bit of a trekkie).

The B & B in Wick with garrulous landlady Betty showing Eddie C and me that breakfast room FULL of gold discs (some signed, Lennon/Imagine (imagine!), the Beatles/Help, a Buddy Holly, I think, etc, etc.). Just a shame I wasn't staying for breakfast to meet their owner, her hubbie.

The highlight for me was that drizzly day we went over the Drumochter Pass on the NCN7 cycleway. I wasn't happy seeing all the fast heavy traffic and the spray on the A9, so having done the cycleway a couple of times before, took the possibly foolhardy risk on 23mm and sparsely spoked wheels to do it again. At the point where the route divided to path or main road, SketchleyChrisB and MichaelQ took the decision to join me. Thank you guys, it turned a previously enjoyable ride into a great afternoon.

The first sighting of the Forth Railway bridge. It isn't possible to take a photograph that conveys the sheer size of the thing.

A big thanks to Gordon for the support, one when I was getting a bit emotional and nervous going down the hill in the Xwind to the Cromarty Firth and the low bridge across it, and secondly for the tow, when I was having a bit of a struggle a couple of miles from Wick.

Thank you to Eddie for putting up with my snoring for three nights, to Sketchley for keeping the teapot full in Newtonmore and the Old Pulteney flowing on the bus.

To Steven and Rachel for the cabshare, and the fab cake.

And especially to instigator Simon and support crew Ian and Diana.
This whole effort was a brilliant example of teamwork and a team leader with the understated ability to pull that same team together. If some of Europe and its enterprises were run with the same degree of camaraderie and common goal seeking, would we be in such a mess? I don't know.

I've some photos, and when I've
a) sorted them into the ones that compare anywhere near the quality of those I've already seen, and
b) worked out how to actually share them,
I will post them. Got one great one of Susie.

Above all, thank you everyone - this was a big deal for me, as I'm sure it was for many, and to complete it was a real surprise.

I enjoyed that climb immensely as well, difficult to pick a highlight but that runs it close if it isn't.... When I get time I'll type up a proper review, although that maybe hard as several days have blurred into one....

AKA Bob

Riding a folding bike far too much of the time...
I carry my itching 'war' wounds gained in the Highlands with pride! The sad thing I have to admit is dreaming about cycling the ride again last night! Plus the headwinds on the way home brought back memories of grand adventures and good company.

ianmac62

Guru
I carry my itching 'war' wounds gained in the Highlands with pride! The sad thing I have to admit is dreaming about cycling the ride again last night! Plus the headwinds on the way home brought back memories of grand adventures and good company.
Hi AKA Bob,

I have sent you a message ("started a conversation") with you.

Cheers,

Ian

SaLQ83

So I think I have finally recovered from a fantastic week with my new found family - the LonJoggers. We did it guys and thank you for sharing an amazing week.

What an amazing experience! I have spent the last few hours reading all the comments, and I just want to say thank you all for the nice words that were said about my half-ton bike! ^_^

I think I didn't realise what I have "signed up" for till a few weeks before the ride. I kept ignored the little niggling feelings that kept on telling me "what are you doing?", and "are you sure you can do this?".

They started to build further as things kept going wrong on the train journey to London, and then it hit me that I am going to struggle a lot when I saw everyone else with their bikes! That's when I started to cry (inwardly):cry: But I couldn't back down.

I will forever remember the Hell of the North A68 (or as I like to call it, the "Blind Summits" Day), which I had the pleasureable company of the 4 Muskeeters (Simon, Greg, Adrian and George) ^_^ . Thank you for keeping me going that day. That was also the day that I realised that I definitley need a new bike to keep up, and perhaps more training! :tongue:

I am never going to forget the 18miles going to Wick! I actually started to cry at that point and slightly curse, I felt sorry for poor Markus. But I would've crashed if I didn't have the support of George, Markus and Simon!

The best lines that will always stick in my heart are "dip-dip-dip-dip", "gravity is your friend", "PEDDLE!!!", "let go of the brakes", "you will learn to ignore the pain" and "Is it clear George? Yes."

My best day of the tour was day 4! the A68 with it's Blind Summits warning and actually literally seeing vehicles disappear in front of you, the good company of the 4 Muskeeters, the beautiful scenery and ofcourse reaching the border! What a day.

My worst day would be the 18 miles going to Wick, which I was actually at the point of giving up all together!

I am always going to remember Mice's "dip-dip-dip-dip" and her bright smile; Suzie's advise on losing my rack and getting a tow; having a great laugh with Sonya, Michael, and George, Adrian and Greg's banter between each other (especially at Derwent Manor); Claudine's speed and being so relaxed on her bike; Markus for all the support you gave me, especially on the last day (sorry if I slowed you down); Xie and Jacob for looking after me; Mick and Olaf for being so patient and brilliant as TECs; All the brilliant way markers; having great chats with Ross, Charlie, Gordon, Alan, Louise, Martin, Mika, Stuaff, Mark, Rebecca, Chris, Xie, Jenny, Jimmy, John, Rachel and Steven aka the Tandem and the rest of the LonJoggers; Rachel's Cake; Staying in what is suppose to be a Guest House, but I think is really a Herbal Medicing place at Kinross!; Ian and Diana's support and thank you for looking after us; everyone speeding past me; the coach ride back home; and George for being such a brilliant support.

But last but not least ofcourse this whole journey wouldn't have happened without the legendry Simon Legg. Simon you are a gem. I thank you for looking after us, and organising such a brilliant holiday! :highfive:
Honestly thank you for all your patience (especially with me), and making such a difference in our lives. We owe this to you.

I can't wait to go on the next ride... ^_^

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
by the way - I think that 18 mile sign, which caused such dismay, is flat out wrong.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
It was our pleasure, honest. And you didn't slow anyone down, really (you just gave us all valuable drinking/nattering/faffing time). Keep on with building your skills and your mileage and there's no reason why you can't be as strong as those people who kept speeding past you. New waymarkers are always welcome ;) A new bike would certainly help in that, but you've already got the key ingredient- you want to do it. You might have been really tired at the end of every day, but you never stopped smiling. If we inspire you, well, the feeling's mutual.

SaLQ83

It was our pleasure, honest. And you didn't slow anyone down, really (you just gave us all valuable drinking/nattering/faffing time). Keep on with building your skills and your mileage and there's no reason why you can't be as strong as those people who kept speeding past you. New waymarkers are always welcome ;) A new bike would certainly help in that, but you've already got the key ingredient- you want to do it. You might have been really tired at the end of every day, but you never stopped smiling. If we inspire you, well, the feeling's mutual.

Thanks Stuaff, and I have already started looking at some bikes with the help of Mice and Greg on the Coach ride back. Mice has suggested a few options. ^_^

Top Bottom