The Fridays Tour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fimm

Veteran
f) I'll take local advice on the A90 toward the Forth Road bridge, because we'll be on it late morning/early afternoon
You're not allowed to cycle on the A90.
There's a rubbish cycle path somewhere "parallel" to it. If you are planning to come through central Edinburgh, then you should get on the cycle path that follows the disused railway line just past Haymarket, and once you get to the A90 take the back roads - I can check with my boyfriend what the exact route that he used to commute Edinburgh - Rosyth was.

If you are wanting to go round Edinburgh there's a few of us on here who can offer differing suggestions as to routes - I assume you know that you can't cycle on the bypass either, but there is an "inner ring road" that is kind of signposted.

(If you are unlucky enough to hit very high winds it is possible for the Bridge to be closed to cyclists and pedestrians while still open to cars. This can be solved by putting the bikes (and their riders) on the train at Dalmeny (= South Queensferry) and getting off again at North Queensferry or Inverkeithing. Fairly unlikely in summer but worth knowing what you're going to do if it does happen).

I don't think there's any way I can do this, but I'm going to keep an eye on the thread because it sounds a lot of fun!

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Two vehicles.
A big van, carries bags on the way up, and bikes on the way back.
A minibus, hired in Inverness, carries the riders back to London afterwards at a total cost of £700 plus fuel. Driven by a series of those at the finish.
Simples. Just an idea.
very worth considering.

At the moment the number one line of inquiry is a long wheelbase transit fitted with six seats.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
there are a couple of camp sites, the Yeung Sing Hotel in the centre of town, and a couple of hotels to the north, including one that was once the house of Lord Alf Robens. I'm away from my computer, but, from memory, there's a B+B or two.

http://www.yeungsing.com/

Sounds good so far. Just got to cllear dates with horse sitter.
From jockeying to 'Jock' eyeing eh, John?
Hay ho! :smile:

clivedb

Guru
truth be told it's in Newport Pagnall
Simon,
I'm not sure what time you plan on getting there but it's a Tesco Express in Newport Pagnell and appears to open at 7 am. You may do better to go to the large Kingston Tesco in SE Milton Keynes and which looks reasonably close to the route. It has 24 hour opening and I guess would be better supplied with toilets. I can visit them and report back if you want.

clivedb

Guru
Simon,
I'm not sure what time you plan on getting there but it's a Tesco Express in Newport Pagnell and appears to open at 7 am. You may do better to go to the large Kingston Tesco in SE Milton Keynes and which looks reasonably close to the route. It has 24 hour opening and I guess would be better supplied with toilets. I can visit them and report back if you want.

I mean the stores in general not the toilets specifically - before the Aperitif wisecrack...

there are a couple of camp sites, the Yeung Sing Hotel in the centre of town, and a couple of hotels to the north, including one that was once the house of Lord Alf Robens. I'm away from my computer, but, from memory, there's a B+B or two.

http://www.yeungsing.com/
There's the Royal Oak just up the road which always used to have a camping field round the back - good beer too, it was one of our post-fishing haunts back in the day. That neck of the woods is match-fishing mecca almost.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Simon,
Sorry, Clive, it's the Kingston one I was looking at - I'd sort of shifted it to Newport Pagnall because that's where we'd head for after.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
There's the Royal Oak just up the road which always used to have a camping field round the back - good beer too, it was one of our post-fishing haunts back in the day. That neck of the woods is match-fishing mecca almost.
added to the list, despite there being pictures of 'tubby nude girls' above the urinals

Snorri - if you've got any recommendations from the Tain area I'd be very grateful

Top Bottom