The Leadville 100

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Quite keen to watch this and see how Lance Armstrong gets on, 2nd last year. Been following his updates on Twitter and watched some of last year's footage on YouTube. Looks a great event.

Anyone else planning on watching this and know of any internet streaming channels that might be showing the race?

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Well, he warmed up nicely by winning the Snowmass 'Blast the Mass' XC race last week, so I think he's in with a strong chance...

Will1985

Über Member
Cyclingnews currently has a basic report saying Armstrong won with a flat tyre. It says Wiens is still riding so it could have been a big margin of victory.

EDIT: 6:28:50 tweeted by velonews as the winning time.

maurice

Impressive win. Sounds like he might have cracked Wiens earlier on.

In last years Leadville thread I remember someone saying they wondered how Lance would have fared coming straight out of the tour. I guess they've got their answer!

aJohnson

From what I hear, he won by around 30 minutes.

akaAndrew

I believe Armstrong was aiming to go under 6 hours for it. Considering his time was 6:47-ish last year, that was a big ask!

Weins, who has won it for the last 6 years, at 44 is 7 years older than Armstrong.

akaAndrew

Just reading bikeforums.net about the race. It doesn't seem like Armstrong was the crowds favourite... I guess there must be a lot of French in Colorado :ohmy:

It is interesting reading a predominantly US forum for the different opinions.

Will1985

Über Member
akaAndrew said:
I guess there must be a lot of French in Colorado :ohmy:
We discussed this during the Tour - it isn't the French in general who don't like him, but mostly certain parts of the media. Anglophones seem to have developed an unfair xenophobic attitude towards the French people based on not a lot.

You'll find different opinions on any forum - those who love LA and those who hate him being the most vociferous.

akaAndrew

Sorry Will, I was being ironic! But, yes, I know the haterz v fanboys thing cross cuts nationality.

The Leadville finish was a bit strange it seems. I'm not quite sure what went on, or why, but it appears that some of the crowd seemed to be trying to stop Armstrong crossing the line! And there was a strange lack of cheering when he did.

I don't know if it was a roadie v mtb thing, a Weins v Armstrong thing, a pro v amateur(ish) thing... I really don't know but it does seem that a large proportion of the crowd was not happy with Armstrong winning. They were led to believe (through faulty race information) that Weins was only a couple of minutes back and closing. Perhaps that had something to do with it.

Perhaps even people read something into Armstrong's motivation and tactics for winning and didn't like that.... again, dunno, can't say. Suffice to say there are verment haterz in the US as well.

Top Bottom