The Missing Gears.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bicykell

I am planning to change the cassette on my Shimano 105 from 11-28 to 11-32. The reason for this is that in Cumbria I am regularly using the 28 on steep hills and there are gradients that I daren't try.

I saw on the post regarding upgrading cassette and chain that 32 is not much of a change.

Should I be looking for something bigger?

Assuming you are on a road bike, then you are getting to the point where you would need a longer arm derailleur. Presumably you are using a compact on the front. Where you live, I think I would be looking at a triple.

If you're using a compact, 50-28 will give you a ratio of 1:1.79, and 34-28 will give you 1:1.21. 50-32 will give you 1:1.56, and 34-32, will give you 1:1.06, so there would be a noticeable difference in a 32t big rear sprocket, compared with a 28t.

OP
OP
Bicykell

Bicykell

It's a new Look 566. I love the handling, comfort and acceleration compared to my Sirrus Sport, but the Sirrus will go up house sides. I feel as if I would like a bigger margin on the Look for big hills. Also there seem to be so many gears to cranch through to make a difference on the level.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
It's a new Look 566. I love the handling, comfort and acceleration compared to my Sirrus Sport, but the Sirrus will go up house sides. I feel as if I would like a bigger margin on the Look for big hills. Also there seem to be so many gears to cranch through to make a difference on the level.

I live in Cumbria too and changed from 36 x28 to 34x30 and it made quite a difference as to what i can get up. Wished I'd gone to 32 at the back as well!

Still loads of ascents round these parts that I would not attempt!

OP
OP
Bicykell

Bicykell

I'll ask Mike the bike at Pakace Cycles tomorrow. I'm taking the bike in as there is a little bit of play in the front forks.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
A 32T is one or two gears lower than a 28T. But I'd be tempted to go all out and get a something-36T on there, which probably will need an MTB mech.
I run a 12-32T 7 speed on a 36T chainset, which gets me up most things with a little walking.

OP
OP
Bicykell

Bicykell

Thanks all for the guidance and help.
Well......as most of you will know, you can't just whip out the 11-28 and shove in an 11-32. I didn't know this, and the thought of another £150 to put in a cassette, longer derailleur and chain is more than I thought. The other opinions range from "take steroids" and "get used to it" to 'just get off and push it up the worst bits".
I'm stuck as to what to do now. The Sirrus, which cost a lot less, seems more versatile if slower and heavier. It might be a little less slow now I've found the front brake was binding.
I think I'll soldier on for a bit and see just how often I wish I had extra bottom gears.

I did similar, went to a 34 megarange, and just adjusted the RD, which, was an Acera admittedly, but surely it's worth a look, you might just get away with cassette and chain replacing..?

OP
OP
Bicykell

Bicykell

It were wot t'feller in't shop said....
I have to plead ignorance, as I was under the impression that you could just swap the cassette out, but apparently not. If it had been a 10 speed 105 I could have got away with a 30, but that wouldn't have been a big enough difference.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I'd be tempted to put the 105 11-32 cassette on, and a new chain, and see what happens. Chain Reaction reckon the short cage will work with the 11-32T cassette. Although, at £23.49 for the cassette, and £12.49 for a chain, your LBS is charging a helluva lot for a rear mech that you don't need!

Top Bottom