FNRttC The (not the) Fridays Tour of the Low Countries 2015

Which of these week-long tours would you sign up for?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Further to my other idea in the conversation, how about this? Trains/boats to Brussels, then to Cherbourg via Lille, Amiens, Rouen, Lisieux, Saint-Lô (or other suitable towns en route).

redfalo

known as Olaf in real life
yep, prevailing winds are from the West. Moreover, we would not go through "northern Germany" as in "close by the coast", but through the central part of the country, where is neither completely flat nor exposed, as it has lots of woods and stuff. Hence wind should not be a big issue.

I'll be trying to find out details on trains links with bike facilities from Berlin. It does not look as bad as I initially thought, because there seems to be an Inter City connection with takes a few bikes per train. I'll try to find out how many and will report back.

I can also look at more reasonable stages. But keep in mind it's along way from the coast to Berlin (approximately 750km/470 miles). Seven full days of cycling means an average of about 67 miles per day. Some days may have to be longer to make it into big cities.

Those are long days in the saddle, but significantly shorter than LonJOG, while the geography is much easier.

Haitch

Flim Flormally
Cycled to Poland this summer via Hamburg, Baltic coast and Berlin and then back again through the centre of Germany. There are quite a few short/steep climbs in the middle of the country. There is also the R1 Euroroute from France via Belgium, Holland and Berlin to St Petersburg, which is reasonably well signposted and has an accompanying Bikeliner book (but the route itself is sometimes tortuous and I wouldn't do it on a road bike with 23mm tyres again). Seven days is pushing it a bit as there are lots of things to stop, do and look at on the way.

OP
OP
mmmmartin

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Seven full days of cycling means an average of about 67 miles per day. Some days may have to be longer to make it into big cities.

Those are long days in the saddle, but significantly shorter than LonJOG, while the geography is much easier.
These are doable days, as the terrain is flat. If I didn't think it was doable I wouldn't have suggested it.

The weather would be warmer in the south of France and it would be a much easier ride - shorter and easier days. Riders who wanted to could arrive at the hotel and leave their luggage and then do a fast blast in the afternoons.

So keep the ideas coming. The time when a decision needs to be made is ages away, and then you'll have masses of time to decide if you want to sign up for what is on offer.

There will need to be a recce, obvs.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Brussels to Berlin? Would be similar mileage to starting from Hook of Holland, certain travel advantages, or at least other options, for some of us not in That London, and Grand Place & Brandenburger Tor would be great start and end points.

frank9755

Cyclist
So keep the ideas coming. The time when a decision needs to be made is ages away, and then you'll have masses of time to decide if you want to sign up for what is on offer.

I realise you have taken the initiative with this, so what ideas are within scope: do you mean fine tuning of those on your initial list or are other suggestions welcome?
If so, what are the constraints: ie is it only things that work with trains?
I don't want to go off topic with my idea if not appropriate

OP
OP
mmmmartin

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Indeed @User13710 All welcome on the recce, indeed there may be some who want to do the ride but cannot make the Real Thing so may opt to ride the recce. Do remember the recce days are harder than the Real Thing - luggage carried on the bike, splitting of group to check various route options, no van back-up so time spent in supermarkets buying food, carrying it and living on cold baguettes in the rain. The first three days of the recce to Bordeaux this year we had headwinds and rain with added interest of hail. @AlexB probably remembers telling Richie "Come to France. It'll be fun!" - certainly Richie reminded him of that phrase several times. Also, the recce can would out a bit more expensive than the Real Thing cos all the wrinkles of efficiency are unknown on the recce.

And @frank9755 - do just come up with ideas - all that can happen is that the idea that seems to be most popular will have a recce done and if it works a Real Thing will be offered - if folk don't want to ride it they won't sign up for it (obvs). Remember that recces have a success rate of only 50 per cent to date - the one from Barcelona to Nice by @dellzeqq and @Agent Hilda resulted in that idea being dropped, as did their ride across Spain from Irun to Gerona this year. (The ride by @ianmac62 and me across northern Spain was never intended to be a recce - which was just as well because it could never be a Fridays Tour - too far, too many days, too high, too wet, too windy, too steep - need I go on?)

Certainly when I rode Hook of Holland-Baltic-Esbjerg in September I was astonished at how flat Germany was. And how good the roads. And how efficient everything was. And how nice the people were. And how much cheaper than France it was.

OP
OP
mmmmartin

mmmmartin

Random geezer
carry an anvil.
We plied @Gordon P with Calvados at every possible opportunity but it seemed only to make him faster...........

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
Realisation "boom".

Good news: we have tickets for England at Twickenham in the Rugby World Cup.
Bad news: it's v Fiji on 18th September.

We're still up for the tour but we'll have to make our way back early (don't know how yet until the route is decided).
Asking for the tour to be brought forward a week is too selfish.

rvw

Guru
It's a bit difficult to know this far in advance: @srw says he hasn't the foggiest idea of what his diary holds for w/c 4th, and I would need to check with my job-share church choirmistress that she isn't planning to be away around that time (which also applies, actually, to w/c 11th). So it is probably best to go with what suits others: if we can come, fine, and if we can't, so be it.

Top Bottom