The Olympic Trivial Thing Thread.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I have discovered that you can watch everything online, so I have just watched several events today in the peace and quiet of a pair of headphones (irony there, I know).

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
How Olympic Divers Really Look While Diving

This is my personal favourite:

funny-diver-face-5.jpg

There were reports of brown streaks in the water. Now we know where they came from.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
What about those Badminton players who were disqualified for not "playing to the best of their abilities". Did their coaches tell them to do that, or did they take that action off their own bat?

:unsure:

Night Train

Maker of Things
They deserved to be disqualified. If they didn't want to win then they don't deserve to get a chance to.

It is different to not breaking records in a qualifier if a team already has position, they have worked to get there. The Badminton teams were out to actually lose their matches.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
The Badminton thing wouldnt have been half as noticable if it was a different sport where you could just go a couple of tenths slower or slightly miss goals. I guess if only one team was doing it they would have been able to keep it fairly subtle, but its because they essentially both were trying to play worse than eachother that it deteriorated to actively trying to lose?

Theres an appeal this evening i think, hopefully they all stay disqualified.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I always like to take a look at the Gruniad's daily photo sets and their latest, 'Winners and Losers', has some gems. In this one, Vino is one erect pinky from Dr Evil.
Generally the 'loser' pictures are more interesting than the 'winners', except for Ruta Meilutyte (9/31) waiting to receive her gold medal where you just want to give her a hug. Also check out the pic of the Chinese ladies water-polo team (18/31). No hugs there I'm afraid.

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
I always like to take a look at the Gruniad's daily photo sets and their latest, 'Winners and Losers', has some gems. In this one, Vino is one erect pinky from Dr Evil.
Generally the 'loser' pictures are more interesting than the 'winners', except for Ruta Meilutyte (9/31) waiting to receive her gold medal where you just want to give her a hug. Also check out the pic of the Chinese ladies water-polo team (18/31). No hugs there I'm afraid.

I saw Meilutyte interviewed just after her win, when Sue Barker grabbed her for an interview, and she was totally stunned! She managed a few words along the lines of "er. wow!", and then stood dumbstruck with her hand over her mouth, looking like she was waiting for someone to tell her what to do!

Top Bottom