The perils of lorry blindspots.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thankfully nothing to do with yet another sad story of the demise of another fellow cyclist.....

Today, I was riding along minding my own business, full of the joys of summer, when I received a sudden lukewarm shower over my head to dampen my day.

Turns out that the lorry driver who was parked up in a layby to my left had decided to empty the slops of his cup of tea out of the window!

Immediate reaction was one of "do you really think that you'll retrieve this Zefal pump from where I am going to park it", but on looking back, he was in fits of laughter, in a nice, non aggressive sort of way.

Went back for a chat and had a word and he reassured me that he had indeed checked his mirrors, but saw nothing, due to his blindspots.

Cheery wave and off we went,,,,,

But it did leave me thanking my lucky stars that it had only has been a drenching from a cold cup of tea.

Ern1e

Über Member
Thank the lord for small mercies, as you say it could have been far worse than the left over tea! If he had pulled out it could have been game over.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I pass a lorry lay by (ring road by the motorway junction) and I have to say it's one of the riskier parts of my journey on the cycle path. This week alone I've had the motorcyclists standing talking to each other, blocking half the path before one bent over using his other leg stuck out behind as a counter balance, and the driver with an AA man on the phone walked backwards into my path whilst on the phone.

In the past I've had lorries who mount the kerb, people emptying out their cabs for a clean out and the one who mounted his satellite dish on the door sticking out at head height. The lorry drivers frequently empty cups there, and walk around getting in the way.

Brandane

Legendary Member
As a part time trucker, I find that the best time to empty out your "tea" or truckers tizer, or empty the ash tray, is while stopped at traffic lights alongside a BMW convertible.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
I pass a lorry lay by (ring road by the motorway junction) and I have to say it's one of the riskier parts of my journey on the cycle path. This week alone I've had the motorcyclists standing talking to each other, blocking half the path before one bent over using his other leg stuck out behind as a counter balance, and the driver with an AA man on the phone walked backwards into my path whilst on the phone.

In the past I've had lorries who mount the kerb, people emptying out their cabs for a clean out and the one who mounted his satellite dish on the door sticking out at head height. The lorry drivers frequently empty cups there, and walk around getting in the way.
There's one I occasionally cycle path if I'm doing Blue Bell Hill to one of our other campuses. In the morning you try and go fast and not breath too deeply, also, keep well out away from the various 'puddles' running down the roads. I've always presumed they had an onboard catch-tank that needed emptying every so often...

Top Bottom