The Storm

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

G3CWI

Veteran
My commute around Macclesfield yesterday was interesting - but not in a good way. The weather seemed okay when I set off home at 5pm. However within minutes the wind started to get up and it started to get dark. As I progressed it was clear that something big was afoot. Lightning and thunder followed. It got dark; really dark. On one off-road segment I could not see the trail as there was no light (and who bothers with lights for a 5pm commute in September?). The wind howled the lightning flashed and eventually those first few drops of rain were in the air.

I paused as I had a raincoat in my rucksack; but I was only just over a mile from home. Put on the raincoat or make a run for it? I decided on the latter course of action. Once on the road I saw that all the cars had lights on and the street lighting had come on - it was as dark as night. I put on my back lights but lacking a front light and cycling fast I felt unusually vulnerable.

The heavens really opened as I turned into my drive and cycled under the porch. Not an experience that I wish to repeat.

http://www.macclesfield-express.co.uk/news/violent-storm-batters-macclesfield-11884336

My colleague was worse off. He had to cycle to Wilmslow (6 miles away). In his usually understated way he said that the first 10 minutes were fine but the rest was "rather damp..." I bet.

Kingy

I was 30 mins into my hour commute home (6.40pm) when the heavens (literally) opened in the Peaks. Roads became streams within 5 mins. I commute in at 4.30am so fortunately had my lights on the bike. Took shelter for just under 10 minutes initially as it was so bad, but it didn't ease off so I carried on and finished my ride as the thunder and lightening did it's thing. I looked at camera footage when I got back and at times it looked as dark as my morning commute.

D

Deleted member 26715

I was driving from Marple via Glossop back to Sheffield over The Snake, it was very eerie leaving Glossop, a very strange light that made it quite difficult to see the road never mind the slashing down rain. When I got back to Crosspool in Sheffield it was lighter than when I had left Marple, although getting out of the car & crossing the road left me soaked.

Last edited by a moderator:

Globalti

Legendary Member
It was warm, sticky, dull and misty when I drove home to near Blackburn, just like a typical day in tropical West Africa.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I was due to leave Macclesfield for Wilmslow at 5:30. As it was pitch black I thought it best to let the rain to pass. By 6:30 it became apparent it wasn't going to get lighter.:blush: So I am rather embarrassed to say for the first time in nearly 10 years commuting I called for a lift. The rain I can handle but being a Ninja on unlit country roads is something where I won't take a risk. :ph34r:

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I was driving from Marple via Glossop back to Sheffield over The Snake, it was very eerie leaving Glossop, a very strange light that made it quite difficult to see the road never mind the slashing down rain. When I got back to Crosspool in Sheffield it was lighter than when I had left Marple, although getting out of the car & crossing the road left me soaked.

I live in Glossop looking towards the Peak District. The clouds last night were amazing. All afternoon it had been a bit hazy with thin clouds at probably 10,000+ft. At about 5.15 a band of dark clouds approached from the west and it started to get a darker (it had been really bright all day). The front of the cloud formation passed over the house and headed towards Snake Pass. What was amazing was that the clouds were lower than the hills; the base of them couldn't have been more than 1,500ft. There had been a gentle Easterly all day but when the cloud front passed through it was a Westerly, about 25mph

They completely blocked out the sun. When I went out at 6.15 it was almost completely dark with all streetlights on and every car full beam. Then it hammered down and the temperature dropped from 24 to 19 in a few minutes. Deluge for 45 minutes, loads of lightning, then the rear of the storm passed over and all that was left were the flashes as it headed towards Sheffield. Then it started to get lighter, despite it being 7pm

Very odd experience

gavgav

Guru
:cuppa:
I live in Glossop looking towards the Peak District. The clouds last night were amazing. All afternoon it had been a bit hazy with thin clouds at probably 10,000+ft. At about 5.15 a band of dark clouds approached from the west and it started to get a darker (it had been really bright all day). The front of the cloud formation passed over the house and headed towards Snake Pass. What was amazing was that the clouds were lower than the hills; the base of them couldn't have been more than 1,500ft. There had been a gentle Easterly all day but when the cloud front passed through it was a Westerly, about 25mph

They completely blocked out the sun. When I went out at 6.15 it was almost completely dark with all streetlights on and every car full beam. Then it hammered down and the temperature dropped from 24 to 19 in a few minutes. Deluge for 45 minutes, loads of lightning, then the rear of the storm passed over and all that was left were the flashes as it headed towards Sheffield. Then it started to get lighter, despite it being 7pm

Very odd experience
They certainly looked interesting clouds from my window in a Boeing 737 landing in Manchester at 16:30 yesterday :ohmy::surrender:

Luckily they were far enough west at that stage, to allow us to land, after circling the Peak District 3 times whilst one of the showers cleared. Great view of the Cat and Fiddle

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
It was just the fog this morning , i could not even see the grass verge properly with an xml t6 on full power at 6 am so i had to ride wide and remember whee the road bends and where the pot holes are .

N Derbyshire was the same. Really humid and misty everywhere. Then the sun burnt it off and it was El Scorchio again. 3 hour ride, 3 litres of water drunk

Top Bottom