Thinking of commuting - not sure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Yes of course, because everyone can average 21 to 28mph.:wacko:

Realistically though, :welcome: Kath. Your 10 mile commute may be quite daunting for a beginner but the fact you are even considering the idea is a good start. I'd suggest trying it to see how it feels then perhaps aim to do it a couple of times a week if you are okay with that, then build up from there. Don't worry too much about your speed at the moment - you'll get quicker as you get into it.:thumbsup:
I meant,would probably want to be doing the 10mile commute sub 1hr (closer to) <40mins. This maybe wasn't obvious with the word "commuting" in front of it :P

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I meant,would probably want to be doing the 10mile commute sub 1hr (closer to) <40mins. This maybe wasn't obvious with the word "commuting" in front of it :P
:laugh: I hoped that was what you really meant but it definitely didn't read that way.

OP
OP
K

Kath

Regular
Hey all, many thanks for the comments, encouragement and advice, I think I have decided to cycle from the half way point into work early Tues morning weather permitting and then if I feel ok I will cycle the full 10 miles home in the evening, I am lucky enough to work in a place that I can store my bike and get a lift home if I am knackered, but as I know I can cycle 14 miles although on the flat I think maybe naively that I should be able to cycle 10 mile home, I know at least one of you mentioned not to be concerned about the time it took me, I am the kind of person even at the gym I will push myself were my running is concerned trying to aim for more distance in shorter time periods etc, so I will prob be checking the time I leave and arrive so that I have a goal to work on i.e. bringing my time down on the commute, but I wont stress over it, I am hoping to commute at least twice a week to start and do the gym twice a week leaving me a couple of rest days, my other goals are increasing my fitness and losing inches so heres hoping. the only real concern I will have is the traffic and how I cope with that as I am only getting used to being able to take one hand of the bars without worrying about falling off.

redcard

Veteran
You'll have no problem. I've been commuting a few weeks - 8 miles each way - and I now hate using public transport. I'm doing 5 days a week, and having a rest day isn't even a consideration!

Just give yourself plenty of time to recover / get changed / showered and you'll be fine. Might mean getting up a bit earlier, but you'll soon get used to that and enjoy going out on the bike.

BrazingSaddles

Über Member
I now hate using public transport

I second that! I stopped having rest days when the buses were either late or were too noisy/smelly/damp/crowded....oh, and expensive.
Far more enjoyable, convenient and reliable to cycle ALL THE TIME!

Kath - if you are so new to cycling perhaps you should read Cyclecraft. There is also a chap on this forum who has created a document of top 20 cycling tips which is will be a faster read! hmmm...how do I link it - I'm new here too so maybe one of the pro's can help...?

Commute at the weekend!

The most important thing about a commute is knowledge of the route, the hazards, the good points and the fun bits. You also need to know teh "escape points" somewhere you can repair a puncture in a bus shelter, the places you could lock your bike and catch a bus if you have a major problem, and all the other factors that will build your confidence.

By running the route at your leisure on a Sunday you will be able to investigate all of this. You will also know roughly how long it will take.

kishan

welcome

OP
OP
K

Kath

Regular
Thanks for the above just read it, thankfully my route is along a B Road into the start of what can only be described as a small city where I only have to filter once to the left and a few hundred yards along the road is my work place, but my main journey is along a quite fast moving road which is pretty straight I don't have to turn off anywhere at all, only issue is with getting used to the traffic although there is quite a bit of hard shoulder so if I get uneasy I can always cycle along it for a bit, especially when I get a string of lorries coming at me from behind. But thank you again.

OP
OP
K

Kath

Regular
Commute at the weekend!

The most important thing about a commute is knowledge of the route, the hazards, the good points and the fun bits. You also need to know teh "escape points" somewhere you can repair a puncture in a bus shelter, the places you could lock your bike and catch a bus if you have a major problem, and all the other factors that will build your confidence.

By running the route at your leisure on a Sunday you will be able to investigate all of this. You will also know roughly how long it will take.
I get where your coming from with this, but I drive the route every day to work, and have been trying to take on board the pitfalls that I think I may come across, there are two roundabouts one almost at the start of the journey and one near the end but I go straight through both so I have a fair idea what the traffic is like at both of them and hopefully there wont be any issues the only other thing is I have to filter to the left a few hundred yards before I arrive at work. I will be happier though when I get a few commutes over and get used to the flow of traffic while I am on the bike rather than in a car driving, I think I should settle down into it ok. I do have a secure place to keep my bike at work and fortunately can leave it there and get a lift home if need be.

Commute at the weekend!

+ 1

But Cunobelin forgot one essential - the bacon sarnie shop. Best situated at the bottom of a pig of a hill, so you can walk up without feeling guilty! :whistle:

Gooner Mad Dog

Hi Kath I do 10.8 miles in 53-57 mins each way into central London initially after getting home knees wobbled, prespiration,stiffness all weekend etc, flushed and breathless ( am 48 btw ) been doing it since Sept now and barely notice the commute, have old bike and like you returning to something from mid teens. Good luck, don't worry about timings and is that good, just do the journey safe and prepared for all evantualities appropiate clothing, spare tools etc ( sports direct & Lidl are 2 great places to top up on cycling accessories etc for under a tenner usually)
Steve , london

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I get where your coming from with this, but I drive the route every day to work, and have been trying to take on board the pitfalls that I think I may come across, there are two roundabouts one almost at the start of the journey and one near the end but I go straight through both so I have a fair idea what the traffic is like at both of them and hopefully there wont be any issues the only other thing is I have to filter to the left a few hundred yards before I arrive at work. I will be happier though when I get a few commutes over and get used to the flow of traffic while I am on the bike rather than in a car driving, I think I should settle down into it ok. I do have a secure place to keep my bike at work and fortunately can leave it there and get a lift home if need be.
Unfortuntly driving and riding the same route will not be the same as dangers that affect cyclist like grates,potholes, pinchpoints and areas where crosswinds can affect you are often overlooked when driving as they do not affect you so much.
Glad you are commuting and keep up the good work !

Top Bottom