Thought of the week???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Mr Brown, our erstwhile Prime Minister has come up with a package, in "partnership" with the energy companies to give the people of this country £910 million in grants and aid to help those who may suffer hardship this winter because of the huge hike in fuel prices:angry:. All very well and good.

My thought was, as there are 60 odd million people in this country, would it not be cheaper to give everyone £1 million each, saving £850million at a stroke:biggrin:

I know this is a flippant thought, and it well may have severe consequences on the economy as thousands of people would chuck their jobs in immediately and inflation would probably rocket through the roof, but maybe a scaled down version where the population was given a couple of thousand pounds to help with the rise in costs would save the government and the energy companies a hugh amount of money and would give those who need the money a welcome bonus.

I know their are those of you on the forum who know about such matters, so, is my thought so silly?

OP
OP
Paulus

Paulus

£910m in grants works out at £15 pounds each for a population of 60m.

Only if you divide 910 by 60. my point is if you have a pot with £910 mil. in it, and you give away £60 mil, you have saved £850 Mil. Surely simple maths?

OP
OP
Paulus

Paulus

OK. I have been out for a long ride and had a few beers afterwards, I can see the stupidity of my argument. I'll go and lay down for a while and think of something better:blush:

zimzum42

Legendary Member
I'm hoping paulus is going to stick to his guns on this one and carry on claiming he's right

I wish he was my bank manager

zimzum42

Legendary Member
damn, too late

Blue

Legendary Member
Paulus said:
My thought was, as there are 60 odd million people in this country, would it not be cheaper to give everyone £1 million each, saving £850million at a stroke:biggrin:

As a casual test relating to the 'exams are getting easier' debate, tell us all what grade you got in GCSE Maths and when you sat the exam ;)

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
Paulus said:

Isn't that £60,000,000,000,000 ?? A bit more than the UK GDP I would have thought - I'm not sure I understand, am I being daft ??

Andrew

papercorn2000

Wouldn't it be a lot wiser to take the £910M and give it to me?

That's it really, just give it to me. I'd be quite generous with cakes and stuff...

Top Bottom