Thoughts on this?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

400bhp

Guru
Sometimes it is useful to imagine roles reversed:

If the Car had been doing 97mph and the bike had turned across, who would have been at fault?

??In that circumstance the driver would probably have been charged with causing death by Dangerous driving??

Is your point to show that, in some way, responsibility is weighted to the one in the larger vehicle?

400bhp

Guru
There was an interesting research study done a few years ago that showed that a bike doesn't change the 'picture' people get of a road enough to stand out as a moving object. Gently weaving on the approach to a junction makes a dramatic difference to visibility.

Completely agree. I'll generally move out towards the centre of the road if I see a car at a junction which would go across my path/join the road.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
There was an interesting research study done a few years ago that showed that a bike doesn't change the 'picture' people get of a road enough to stand out as a moving object. Gently weaving on the approach to a junction makes a dramatic difference to visibility.
I have been preaching this for years. Bikers and cyclists approaching junctions with cars waiting should eyeball the driver to see if they are looking/have seen you. If in doubt, do a quick wiggle - it stimulates the primeval hunter instinct / binocular vision when you move across the field of view instead of just towards it. I do the same to vehicles approaching from behind that, to me, don't seem to be slowing/moving to avoid me. A brief left/right move makes me visible and normally has the desired effect on the vehicles path/speed.

Drago

Legendary Member
I read somewhere 3 low wattage lamps in a triangle (each end of the bars, one atop the front mudguard) provided a much better visual referance, and also move further apart as the vehicle approaches. May have been the same article, I don't recall entirely.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
I do the same to vehicles approaching from behind that, to me, don't seem to be slowing/moving to avoid me. A brief left/right move makes me visible and normally has the desired effect on the vehicles path/speed.
On a bicycle, a tactical wobble can do wonders for vehicles approaching too fast from behind.

Top Bottom