Time Travel. Solstice Trip - anyone fancy it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This is a call for a ride last Saturday night.
No takers? Ok, I'll tell you what it will be like if you want to come...

Intending to meet MacBludgeon at some point, it was worthwhile to spend a Sat night in search of Sun morning...

I left home about 21:45 with the intention of having a good long chat with myself all the way to Stonehenge, where I would rendezvous with several of the Corps of Cyclists from yacf and 'celebrate' the Summer Soul Sister - well, something like that anyway, a funky 'do'.
I was lost in the reverie of what to expect when alongside me I heard the whirr of bike and an exclamation of "Hello mate, nice night for a ride - going anywhere nice?"
'Stonehenge' (Well, I was going to Woodhenge first actually, but that's another story.)
"Oh, so are we"
The 'we' was a peloton of couriers from Hackney, who set off from Hyde Park at dusk. It's a small world sometimes, and I cast aside my conversation with self for introductions and gentle conversation until the first stop at Egham Hill - about twenty minutes after I left home :welcome:!

nlsk0j.jpg

And on. About half an hour's riding - with one guy, Roger, already cramping badly and there was a drinks break. This is not a 'slug the PSP and munch the energy bar' type of stop that us genteel riders are accustomed to...this involves more natural products, along with 'technical cigarettes' - much to my amusement! Like a News of the World reporter, I 'declined their offer' of refreshment...

ftk5c5.jpg

Cool Colnago rider, Martin, takes sustenance of the liquid kind.

2e36art.jpg

It were a 'rum do' that evening...

10s6mtc.jpg

The next garage stop - about thirty minutes later - and I spied two druids worshipping at the ancient 'Pillars of Essence'. I did ask for a photo and they said 'Of course!' Indeed, they were headed toward the Solstice and I made a note to self to apply vinyl flowers to my bicycle next year...IF.

The A30 at night is a long road, and progress was hampered by Roger's rider's cramp (Funnily, I just wrote 'writer's crap' as I was typing - must be Freudian if ever there was...) and then one of the Colnagos broke a spoke. The owner took a swig of rum and set to work with chain whip, cassette tool, spare spoke obviously, and half an hour later we were on the way yet again. By this time we had reached Basingstoke and the B3400 beckoned.

2uqosbq.jpg

There were some nice bikes being ridden to sunrise. This one was being re-spoked at 01:15! We turned the corner and my tube failed. As I was happy at the back, everyone else vanished up the road...a quick change and I was able to blast along the dark, winding road to make contact once again. But not for long, as the rear tube decided it was time for a rest. Two flats in one journey! Pain in the butt made worse because it was decidedly inky in that part of the world. Oh well.
By the time I had got myself organised again, I raced off, leaving my pump somewhere on a grass verge 'just outside Whitchurch' - so I thought. Not much dawned on me this day, not the least checking everything before restarting - 0/10 for care in my community. The others were long gone and it was nevertheless a lovely ride into Andover. Time became tight and I took the Mouseketeer route A303 - direct to Amesbury. Originally I programmed the Garmin (quiet at the back) to skirt this big road, in order that I arrive via Woodhenge, as I was interested in what that had to offer, but the lure of the tarmac and 'head down' beckoned...plus the fact that dawn was knocking on the dark, cloudy shell of night. A period of hard graft and lo! The twinkle twinkle reminiscent of a FNRttC ride - the string of red lights that indicate night cyclists! Rejoined the Hackney posse and we passed by various shades of hi viz authority and an ant trail of folk making their way upward to Stonehenge. Roger the cramp was suffering badly but he needed to continue as his girlfriend was giving him grief over the 'phone. She had caught the train from London to Basingstoke, cycled the comparitively short stretch to, and was ensconced at the Stones. So many expletives - so little time! Ha ha.

wuj98o.jpg

And this is what it was all about. Druidville's answer to Bill Oddie in cabaret. He was encouraging the audience to sing a song about some bones that needed to be returned - sung to the tune of 'Tie Me Kangaroo Down Boy' (Don't believe that? I have a video!) I was fascinated and amazed. I have seen so little life, and I think I have been 'around a bit' - this was definitely one for the memory. Respect to the people who are devoted but this was comedic in its appearance. Plenty of piss artists too - at one stage I'm sure there was a cider carrying competition - the equivalent of cheese rolling, where smoky individuals cradle massive plastic bottles of Blackthorn etc and stagger around West Papua's finest dancers...

snjmlx.jpg

www.freewestpapua.org will get you more info on why these gents were near naked in the chilly morn.

As I tried to cycle across the fields and decided against throwing my bike over a barbed wire fence, and as the constabulary were being adequately forceful in directing people miles around the block to enter the arena of solsticity, I contented myself with views and conversations conducted through the fence. I met up with Jason and friend, two of the messengers again, and then 'Louise' came over for a chat...wondering why I was dressed so strangely! "You must be a cyclist!" Correct.(Don't quite qualify as a serious cyclist yet but...) Anyway, she was very pleasant, had spent 9 months cycling around Vietnam, was a graduate in theatre costume design, was making five wedding dresses, made her clothes, her boyfriend was a local but she lived in Chester and was definitely coming to Solstice again...Here she is; best of luck girl, nice talking to you.

ny7b14.jpg

A conversation piece. Louise.

So, an experience. I sort of understand the hippy style concept of romance. Half of the participants don't have enough money left after purchasing vats of cider and the other half couldn't really be charging for what's on offer - ergo 'free love'.

2mjvk3.jpg

6sto4o.jpg

Attentive crowds watching the high vizer do a rubbish impression of Rolf Harris - crowded eh?

What struck me also, was the sheer number of people walking in the fields. As the light levels rose, it was apparent the all the fields had people walking in them. Moving all over the place - not just in the Stonehenge direction. Like ants on a kitchen floor - as far as I, or the eye could see. there were people walking through fields - it is definitely worth a visit if you want culture shock and interesting sights.

2jbw7zo.jpg

I was there! Thanks for your company Darren, Jason, Sid, Roger, Martin, the two ladies and all the other 'messengers' - maybe someone will pick this post up and I hope also that Tim O - and others - will post the photos of superb views that they saw on their trip to Stonehenge by another route. I met MacBludgeon by text only! I was breakfasting in Basingstoke by the time he was 'bonking' after his campfire feast!
I also cycled back to Heathrow, but I'll save that for Part 2 - and I recovered my pump nestling in the grass - a long way from where I thought I left it!
Ta ta for now.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Excellent report - sounds like fun. Hippy days are here again.

MacB bonking by text sounds like a Shane Warne activity but, hey, don't knock it if you haven't tried it:wacko: I'm a Brighton boy after all!

Trepid Explorer

Hey Aperetif... y'know, I didn't mean you were old. NO-ONE who did that ride were old, just "older". Spent the end of that ride wishin' I'd stopped to lend you my nice big frame pump that I had on that great big Mercian of mine - but you should've known better to stop at the bottom of a dip. I was seriously into conservation of momentum. Still, I am glad you made it. Due respect for riding home. I'm glad someone made more of the Stonehenge experience. We were too focused on getting home to bed to really enjoy the atmosphere. Keep on pedalling and see you again. Possibly at the Dunwich Dynamo?

Trep. (the "slower" lady)

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Welcome Trep. Great write up Ape. Very inspiring. Hope to be able to join you on the repeat performance, next year. Winter solstice is Evey's birthday, so that one is definitely out! :wacko:

Planning a little time travel of my own tomorrow. ILB and self will be tackling the Dunwich Dynamo, and back (of course). Naysayers may well point out that the DD isn't actually until the end of next week, but such trivialities don't phase us. :biggrin:

Helli Trepid, hello the deux Andys...have fun all. never let an organised ride get in the way of a mouseketeer. Make sure you do an A road too!

But most of all, take care.

Trepid, I'm riding the night through to Brighton - and then it is my intention to return 'bright'n' early. The Dunwich Dynamo is calling me..calling..calling
Trouble is, the returns are always such fun...:thumbsup: I may be some time.

Lovely to meet up with you all and, if I don't make it, there will be plenty of CycleChat shirts who will deny all knowledge of my existence.:sad:

Still haven't put the full stop on this write up by sketching in the return leg...:smile:

Trepid's report is here Andy (and all, of course...:blush:) I know you appreciate decent write ups - here's one!
http://trepidexplorer.blogspot.com/2009/06/rolling-to-stones-2009.html

TimO

Guru
Just in case you don't want to hunt around on yacf, my handful of photo's from the Solstice WARTY are here, and you can find all the others from this point onwards on the yacf thread, either directly in the thread, or linked to it.

The 45 miles between Glastonbury Tor and Stonehenge, plus the trips between stations and the ends of the ride, and the Paddington to/from home rides added up to 105 miles for me, which was far enough. The one hundred and sixty miles plus to Stonehenge and back would have killed me. xx(

SolsticeWARTY_GroupShot.jpg

Top Bottom