Time Travel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
If you were to go back and change things, you'd need to write down or record what you had changed so that you'd know when you came back, if indeed you remembered you had gone back in time anyway to then come back in the first place, but even then, you wouldn't remember, so what you had written or recorded would just seem like a story to you and not be real, if indeed it then still existed or you knew where to look for it when you came back. You'd need to devise some sort of system to get around this.

Oh and if you didn't remember this event that now never happened, why would you know to go back and change it in the first place, ergo, you'd never change it (unless by chance), so your history would remain the same as it was before! :crazy: :scratch:

This time travel lark is hard if you change things.

I understand Stephen Hawking proposed something he called the 'Chronological Protection Hypothesis' which simply states that the past is set in stone & cannot be altered as it'll create a paradox which undermines your own existence. So you can go back & do anything you like, it won't change anything since time will act in a way to thwart you like inbuilt protection. In the oft-forgotten series of the late 90's 'Crime Traveller' they tried to pass themselves the winning lottery numbers into the past but it failed since they copied them wrongly (I think a digit was written upside down). So nature would thwart you no matter how many times you tried to kill Hitler. In theory though, you could leave information behind for your future self to discover but not change events.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Who cares ?

Time travel is as impossible now, as it was - when I told you next month :whistle:

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I understand Stephen Hawking proposed something he called the 'Chronological Protection Hypothesis' which simply states that the past is set in stone & cannot be altered as it'll create a paradox which undermines your own existence. So you can go back & do anything you like, it won't change anything since time will act in a way to thwart you like inbuilt protection. In the oft-forgotten series of the late 90's 'Crime Traveller' they tried to pass themselves the winning lottery numbers into the past but it failed since they copied them wrongly (I think a digit was written upside down). So nature would thwart you no matter how many times you tried to kill Hitler. In theory though, you could leave information behind for your future self to discover but not change events.

Well, that's not fuggin' depressing, is it? 😆

If you were to go back and change things, you'd need to write down or record what you had changed so that you'd know when you came back, if indeed you remembered you had gone back in time anyway to then come back in the first place, but even then, you wouldn't remember, so what you had written or recorded would just seem like a story to you and not be real, if indeed it then still existed or you knew where to look for it when you came back. You'd need to devise some sort of system to get around this.

Oh and if you didn't remember this event that now never happened, why would you know to go back and change it in the first place, ergo, you'd never change it (unless by chance), so your history would remain the same as it was before! :crazy: :scratch:

This time travel lark is hard if you change things.

Having read that, I've realised I've traveled in time before. I've got all of those symptoms. :ohmy:

Top Bottom