Tiny rides of 2023

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RMR

Went to pick Blackberries today around 2 mls away but did a trip of 10.6 mls whilst exploring different routes. This is what I like about cycling, if you lose your way it's never too long to return to your original route. Wherehas when hillwalking, my preferred way of exploring, a mile off course can be daunting if tired.

All uphill

Still rolling along
Out after an early meal this evening with our son.

Past the Somerset County Cricket ground and along canal then river. Nice to see lots of people enjoying the warm evening including a few passionate couples wrapped round each other .

Out to the retail park and back home through small streets and the park.

The furthest I've cycled in a month - 7 miles.

RMR

Out after an early meal this evening with our son.

Past the Somerset County Cricket ground and along canal then river. Nice to see lots of people enjoying the warm evening including a few passionate couples wrapped round each other .

Out to the retail park and back home through small streets and the park.

The furthest I've cycled in a month - 7 miles.

You will get the satisfaction every time you do the extra mile, as long as you're enjoying it that's what matters

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Went to pick Blackberries today around 2 mls away but did a trip of 10.6 mls whilst exploring different routes. This is what I like about cycling, if you lose your way it's never too long to return to your original route. Wherehas when hillwalking, my preferred way of exploring, a mile off course can be daunting if tired.

The blackberries aren't ripe here yet. I'm keeping my eye open for them.

Windle

Über Member
A relatively tiny ride, though at just over 8 miles it's a decent enough ride for me on a weeknight. Took the Univega out for the first time in a month and was reminded what a cracking little bike it is. Compared to my two higher stacked Treks it initially felt like a low profile TT bike!
Off down Scotland Lane then rather than turn right onto the railway path I went straight on down the steep little drop and up t 'other side past Gibsneese farm, a right kink, through a few gates then NW along the track across sheep pasture and into Gibsneese plantation which I followed down through to the bend in the minor road where it goes over the Gaunless near Copley Chimney, which used to serve a lead mill that operated down by the river in the 19th century. Turn and retrace past the log pile back to the railway path then north along to near Cockfield Fell station & return the other way, another trundle down Peathrow Lane and back (a few dead ends to bump the mileage up). The gate to the top end of Raby Castle north wood was open but I decided against a sneaky run up there. Then back along Scotland Lane for 8.2 miles total in about 50 minutes with 473 feet of climbing and a minor splattering of peaty mud.

GOPR0288.JPG

GOPR0289.JPG

RMR

A relatively tiny ride, though at just over 8 miles it's a decent enough ride for me on a weeknight. Took the Univega out for the first time in a month and was reminded what a cracking little bike it is. Compared to my two higher stacked Treks it initially felt like a low profile TT bike!
Off down Scotland Lane then rather than turn right onto the railway path I went straight on down the steep little drop and up t 'other side past Gibsneese farm, a right kink, through a few gates then NW along the track across sheep pasture and into Gibsneese plantation which I followed down through to the bend in the minor road where it goes over the Gaunless near Copley Chimney, which used to serve a lead mill that operated down by the river in the 19th century. Turn and retrace past the log pile back to the railway path then north along to near Cockfield Fell station & return the other way, another trundle down Peathrow Lane and back (a few dead ends to bump the mileage up). The gate to the top end of Raby Castle north wood was open but I decided against a sneaky run up there. Then back along Scotland Lane for 8.2 miles total in about 50 minutes with 473 feet of climbing and a minor splattering of peaty mud.

View attachment 702242

View attachment 702243

View attachment 702242

View attachment 702243

A couple of nice pics, thanks

RMR

My tiny rides are getting longer, did a ride today to pick blackberries for my son & a friend, ended up doing 18.4 miles. Not a lot to some on chat but I'm happy.

Windle

Über Member
Forsook my usual Cockfield Fell loop as it absolutely wazzed down yesterday and the bogginess would be off the scale. Instead I headed along to Copley Chimney again for a trundle round the wood. The path across the sheep fields were a bit wet but not too bad although the wood itself was a bit clarty in many places, obviously not as much tree cover as I'd thought to keep the rain off! A decent small run out including a short stretch of steepish road ascent up Dent Gate Lane. I'd taken the Univega (with it's new bar ends) for a change, thinking it would be more nimble than the 29'er Trek. It was, but the myriad off camber, wet roots were a bit more hairy (although I'm no mountain biker, so probably just me).
This was bone dry on Sunday, now flowing with field run-off.

GOPR0305.JPG
The Troll Hole and Goblin's seat, which had become detached from the post.
GOPR0306.JPG
A black slug and some bonny 'shrooms / 'stools.
GOPR0307.JPG
Not sure how far I'd gone as my computer had stopped for a rest during part of it, probably about 7 miles though.

OP
OP
Hebe

Hebe

getting better all the time
Today had the golden combination of not pouring with rain/blowing a hooley/being away from home so a tiny ride was a possibility, then became a certainty when Hebe Jr asked to come too. One false start when it started to rain as we wheeled the bikes out, but we tried again a bit later. 7.5k around Coate and the new housing estate, taking in wildlife such as a dead rat, a large pigeon and a butterfly that hitched a lift on Hebe Jr’s helmet :wub:. When I get to ride with her I remember all over again why I was so determined to learn when she was little.
In keeping with the August Bank Holiday Monday, it’s now looking like rain.

photo is of post tiny ride tiny treat.

IMG_1675.jpeg

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Almost all my rides in recent weeks have been to the little vegetable garden that I look after. It's not far from home. The Elephant bike is proving to be a good gardening bike. I use the basket to bring home the veg. We've lots of tomatoes at the minute and I've got to keep a close eye on the courgettes because they turn into marrows as soon as I turn my back. I'm a bit scared to look at the squash - there's a danger that they'll be heading over the wall and becoming a danger to traffic!

A slightly longer ride was to the fruit shop because the Victoria plums have arrived 😁

This morning I needed to go a bit further to drop something off and the Elephant is heavy so I rode the Dawes for the first time in ages. A bit wobbly to start with - it's a lot lighter - and I need to sort out the rattle from the mudguard. It was early and being a bank holiday there was hardly anyone about, not even the dog walkers. It's nice to have the roads and cycle paths to myself. Still not a very long ride but at least I used the Dawes which I've been avoiding for some reason.

Windle

Über Member
A modest six and half mile local amble taking in Scotland Lane, the old railway path / farm track and Cockfield Fell. Slightly cooler and duller than earlier this week but nice nonetheless. The Virgin liveried hot air balloon was out again (mid picture, just showing above the horizon), drifting slowly across the fields before landing up near Copley, they can't have had a very long trip as it takes off from Witton Castle, only about five miles away.

GOPR0392.JPG
I'd always wondered why this part of the fell was fenced off, clearly a small quarry in the past.
GOPR0395.JPG
Tuesday nights picnic spot and view over to the west.
GOPR0398.JPG
The balloon was down, deflated and getting packed away as I rode back.

Top Bottom