Tips to Make Yourself Visible

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
[QUOTE 5080805, member: 9609"]The benefits of using brighter clothing, reflective strips, lights etc have been pretty obvious to me long before I took up cycling and that is the reason I think it is a good idea.[/QUOTE]
The benefits of using brighter clothing, reflective strips, lights etc were completely overestimated and misunderstood by me* long before I took up cycling again and the experience of their utter uselessness, plus some research into the science behind that, is the reason I think it is not a good idea.

*Good old motor-centric me from back in the day.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The benefits of using brighter clothing, reflective strips, lights etc were completely overestimated and misunderstood by me* long before I took up cycling again and the experience of their utter uselessness, plus some research into the science behind that, is the reason I think it is not a good idea.

*Good old motor-centric me from back in the day.
In god we trust. All others must bring data.

"Explanations exist; they have existed for all time; there is always a well-known solution to every human problem — neat, plausible, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken.

Ajax Bay

Guru
https://www.eta.co.uk/2017/10/20/the-british-curse-of-high-vis/
upload_2018-4-3_16-56-52.png

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
The indiscriminate use of hi-vis clothing in all sorts of everyday situations has nothing to do with safety but everything to do with corporate arse-covering on the advice of lawyers! Companies dish out hi-vis jerkins like confetti, as do schools. It's ridiculous, but blame the lawyers for this culture. However, in situations where there is a real risk, such as in moving traffic, I always support the use of reflective clothing, especially at night. At the end of the day, if you venture on to the public highway used by vehicles at night and you deliberately choose not to wear reflective and therefore visible clothing, you're an idiot - regardless of who is at fault in the case of any accident.

classic33

Leg End Member
The indiscriminate use of hi-vis clothing in all sorts of everyday situations has nothing to do with safety but everything to do with corporate arse-covering on the advice of lawyers! Companies dish out hi-vis jerkins like confetti, as do schools. It's ridiculous, but blame the lawyers for this culture. However, in situations where there is a real risk, such as in moving traffic, I always support the use of reflective clothing, especially at night. At the end of the day, if you venture on to the public highway used by vehicles at night and you deliberately choose not to wear reflective and therefore visible clothing, you're an idiot - regardless of who is at fault in the case of any accident.
If another vehicle is involved, I'd be questioning their eyesight.

Something I did do after being hit.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
You can question whatever you like but the fact remains is that the more visible you are to other road users, the less chance there is of an accident occurring in the first place. Unlit roads and even lit roads where there are a lot of shadows cast can easily conceal any other road user who is not well lit up. You can choose to try to stand out from the shadows or you can choose to blend in and hope that all the motorists you encounter have super eyesight and levels of alertness and concentration. Personally I like to stack the odds in my favour, and if my dress makes me look like a builder who cares?

theclaud

Openly Marxist

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
If you don't dress to be visible, then you must be happy to be invisible, and not bothered if others can see you or not. Responsible use of the roads is a two-way street, you can't expect everyone else to do your share of the risk reduction, because for whatever reason you don't want to wear reflective garments. It's just as much your responsibility to help others see you as it is for them to be vigilant and look out for you. Blaming the failings of someone else for an accident because you may have technically been within the law won't make you any less dead.

Top Bottom