To all the Yorkies out there... Any suggestions?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well, the Amsterdame ride is getting scaringly close, so we have started to think about the more practical parts of doing it - in this case accommodation. We need to get this sorted out now, as the ride is over the last bank holiday weekend in May, so I have a feeling York might be packed with tourists.

We have to come over on the Friday to be there in time for the early start on Saturday and would like to probably stay over on the Tuesday when we get back to go home without any rush on Wednesday.

So, we need somewhere cheap to stay for 2 people, as close as possible to the designer outlet (which, from what I remember is a bit out of town) so we don't have to start by getting lost first thing in the morning and cycle another 20 miles before we have even started, and also somewhere we can store the bikes securely.

Has anybody out there got any ideas?

Thanks! :sad:

Arch

Married to Night Train
punkypossum said:
Well, the Amsterdame ride is getting scaringly close, so we have started to think about the more practical parts of doing it - in this case accommodation. We need to get this sorted out now, as the ride is over the last bank holiday weekend in May, so I have a feeling York might be packed with tourists.

We have to come over on the Friday to be there in time for the early start on Saturday and would like to probably stay over on the Tuesday when we get back to go home without any rush on Wednesday.

So, we need somewhere cheap to stay for 2 people, as close as possible to the designer outlet (which, from what I remember is a bit out of town) so we don't have to start by getting lost first thing in the morning and cycle another 20 miles before we have even started, and also somewhere we can store the bikes securely.

Has anybody out there got any ideas?

Thanks! :biggrin:

Look for a B and B along the Fulford Road - that is the road that leads to the designer outlet. You want the out of town end - I can't remember which way the numbers run, unfortunately. But there are several B and Bs in that area - probably only a mile from the outlet, which is on the A64/A19 junction. I don't know about price, or bike storage - your best bet might be to ring the Tourist office and explain what you need, or look on their website....

Although, York being so small, nowhere is going to be TOO far. So places on the Bishopthorpe Road might also do, as you can cross by the Millennium Bridge and it would only be a couple of miles - I think from the centre of York to the outlet, I'd allow about 20-25 minutes riding time, so not far really (and that's at my slowish pace). 3-4 miles?

I wish I could offer you accommodation, but my flat's way too small, and there's no more room for bikes!:biggrin:

Danny

Legendary Member
I'll ask my friend who lives on that side of town whether he can recommend anywhere.

Failing that, I know someone who does B&B. She is about 15 mins from the Designer Outlook, but along a pretty straight road (well actually there's one big curve you would have to negotiate, but otherwise pretty simple).

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
There are loads and loads of places to stay either on fulford road or racecourse/bishopthorpe area. If you stayed in lower fulford it would be about half an hours walk to the designer outlet or 5-10 mins cycle.

P.S. there may be somewhere to stay in Naburn Village, somewhere I've cycled past many times. That's really close to the designer outlet and peaceful, not sure on price/availability though.

We might have. CoC has an old Dodge 50 motorhome which recently passed its MOT but failed to find a buyer. Its still at the garage and we are trying to persuade the company to park it around the back of the unit permanently so we can use it for girly sleepovers/guests/a late night opium den. We are a couple or three miles from Fulford road, most of it on a dedicated cycle track.

If we manage to hold onto it you'd be welcome to stay in it. Its got a woodburning stove and everything.

domtyler

Über Member
You're more than welcome to crash round Mickle's place if you like. His missus will even cook a nice dinner for you lot and it will be free beer too, just help yourself from the fridge. :ohmy:

OP
OP
punkypossum

punkypossum

Donut Devil
mickle said:
We might have. CoC has an old Dodge 50 motorhome which recently passed its MOT but failed to find a buyer. Its still at the garage and we are trying to persuade the company to park it around the back of the unit permanently so we can use it for girly sleepovers/guests/a late night opium den. We are a couple or three miles from Fulford road, most of it on a dedicated cycle track.

If we manage to hold onto it you'd be welcome to stay in it. Its got a woodburning stove and everything.

Sounds great - I love the idea, but I can see Jane having serious reservations... Our last fallout was about me being all exited about sleeping in an outbuilding (old coachhouse in Horton-in-Ribblesdale) with woodburning stove and no loo, but a fantastic skylight in the ceiling - I thought it was great, but she absolutely hated it and claimed it wasn't fit for a dog to sleep in...have a feeling her attitude towards mobile homes might be similar, she won't even go camping in a tent that hasn't got at least three bedrooms, you can stand up in and that fits most of her furniture. It's really annoying cause I love roughing it a bit :evil: (not that consider mobile homes as rough, but we have very different ideas of what constitutes essential comfort)

Arch

Married to Night Train
hmm. I've met Kermit (it is Kermit, right, Mickle?), and unless he's been done up a lot, I'd say 'motorhome' was perhaps a little grand as a description!:biggrin: Mind you, the woodburning stove is news...

We got thrown off a caravan park once, for being bright green. Caravans can only be beige, y'know...

Naburn might be a good bet, you can get into the Designer Outlet the back way from the Naburn Road, avoiding the double roundabout on the A19. In fact, even coming from Fulford, it might be nicer to detour up Naburn Lane, over the flyover and in the back way, than do that roundabout... Not sure if there is accommodation in Naburn though - I can't remember noticing anything as I ride through.

errr, sorry, didn't see the 2 people in the original post :biggrin:

Ah well. It might be near the Designer Outlet though, anyone know?

Arch

Married to Night Train
Crackle said:
errr, sorry, didn't see the 2 people in the original post ;)

Ah well. It might be near the Designer Outlet though, anyone know?

No, it isn't.... Well, it's not hideously far away, it's just one side of the city centre, but the designer outlet is out on the opposite edge of the city. Probably half an hour or so on a bike? (I'm hopeless at timing, I always just leave loads of time.) Somewhere on/around Fulford Road/Fulford village would be way more convenient.

Top Bottom