Toilet Duck cageless

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Night Train

Maker of Things
So having just seen the advert for Toilet Duck, the squirty blobby thing that sticks on the side of the toilet bowl, it got me wondering.
If, as the voice over says, there is no cage to harbour germs then surely that implies that the Toilet Duck is unable to kill the germs in its cage. So how is it supposed to be able to kill the germs in the bowl then? :biggrin:

Will1985

Über Member
Not only that, surely the applicator becomes a germ fest when it touches the bowl?!?

montage

God Almighty
Another thing... why do people have these things? It isn't going to kill all the germs in a poo is it. Simply solution: clean ye bog.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Rim blocks are another big con perpetrated on a public who are kept paranoid by the media and advertising. Somebody at Unilever's bog care divison told me that under the rim and down the bowl is actually pretty clean as it gets rinsed reguarly with fresh water. The biggest con of all was Lever's Frish, a gloopy green gel with a high perfume dosage that was so innocuous that you could use it as a foam bath. Frish was more of an airfreshener than a cleaner and it spawned a whole new market segment.

Thus we are all conned into pouring yet more detergents into the environment while inflating the profits of Megacorp.

buggi

Bird Saviour
my sister puts her rim block in the cistern bit. that way the cleaning stuff gets flushed through the rim, rather than just down from underneath it. makes sense to me.

my mum was a domestic cleaner. she took on a new "client" and the first time she cleaned her bathroom (which looked like something off Bathrooms from hell) she squibbed toilet duck under the rim and maggots fell out!

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
buggi said:
my sister puts her rim block in the cistern bit. that way the cleaning stuff gets flushed through the rim, rather than just down from underneath it. makes sense to me.

my mum was a domestic cleaner. she took on a new "client" and the first time she cleaned her bathroom (which looked like something off Bathrooms from hell) she squibbed toilet duck under the rim and maggots fell out!

:ohmy:xx(;):laugh::eek1: *boke*

That's appalling. Speaking as a slightly slobby bloke, I'd be ashamed.

OP
OP
Night Train

Night Train

Maker of Things
Why don't people just put on a pair of Marigolds and stick their hand in the bowl to give it a good clean? What's down there is only what came out of their body in the first place.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I just bung either limescale remover or bleach down every so often (depending on whether it looks scaley or not).

People are mugs. Invent a problem, and a spiralling increasing cloud of products to 'cure' it, and you're onto a winner.

Plug in air fresheners, for example. Now, they appreantly have to be able to rotate through 18 different scents, and puff everytime you move, or you won't notice them (and if you don't notice them, you won't notice when they run out, and you 'll forget to ruch out and pay for refills). Or, you could just open the window, or if you're really posh, splash out on a bowl of lavender/pot pourri and give it swill with your fingers every time you go past...

And then there's the arms race over how many blades you can pack into one razor...

Globalti

Legendary Member
One product I would definitely buy: a bedside life support module incorporating:

Tube dispensing cool water to avoid the need to get up for a drink.

Tube with methane gas detector, which you could pull under the bedclothes to suck away evil smells before they get noticed.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Rigid Raider said:
One product I would definitely buy: a bedside life support module incorporating:

Tube dispensing cool water to avoid the need to get up for a drink.

Tube with methane gas detector, which you could pull under the bedclothes to suck away evil smells before they get noticed.

I thought the idea was to wait a moment, then pull the duvet over your head?
Oh.
That's just me, isn't it?:tongue:

[/Men Behaving Badly]

Arch said:
I just bung either limescale remover or bleach down every so often (depending on whether it looks scaley or not).

People are mugs. Invent a problem, and a spiralling increasing cloud of products to 'cure' it, and you're onto a winner.

Plug in air fresheners, for example. Now, they appreantly have to be able to rotate through 18 different scents, and puff everytime you move, or you won't notice them (and if you don't notice them, you won't notice when they run out, and you 'll forget to ruch out and pay for refills). Or, you could just open the window, or if you're really posh, splash out on a bowl of lavender/pot pourri and give it swill with your fingers every time you go past...

And then there's the arms race over how many blades you can pack into one razor...

or you could do what my gran does, have a lavender bush in the garden and just clip a bit every now and then.

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Although I don't have kids so I rarely visit the nappy aisle, it never ceases to amaze me how nappy manufacturers come up with new products. The 'training pants' or 'pull ups' or whatever are presumably a marketing ploy to encourage people to buy nappies for longer (or so I was told by a marketing magazine).

I am a dog owner, however, and have equally been amazed at various products that you're supposed to put in the house to housetrain dogs. Sort of doggy sanitary towels. In mah day we used to put newspaper down...

I am glad it is not only me!

My inital reaction on seeing the ad was "how can they get away with that" to -get rid of the cage: get rid of the germs, as it clearly seemed a big lie as the cage bit is nearest to the gunk so must have the best chance of being germ free.

BUT there is a weak spot in the cage thing- the bit that is on the outside holding the cage in place. Could they have found a stray germ in that?

I already boycott toilet duck products because they shape the bottle like a duck, called it duck but then turned the bottle into an aeroplane in the adverts.

But I have seen three loos lately with a stupid little blue blob stuck in it so the adverts seem to work with some people.

The other one on a similar line is the mouth wash (the one that seems to explode in your mouth) which makes a virtue of killing all the bad bacteria in you mouth. It must also kill all the good bacteria too. Dont we need bacteria?

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Ex-girlfriend of mine is a vet; she never bothered with a toilet brush or a plunger to shift any sunken dreadnoughts that were causing blockages in the pan. She had a supply of armpit-length rubber gloves (used for the arm-up-the-cow's-nether-regions jobs) and she's simply don one and clear it with her hand... :smile:

Mind you, I once did the same sans-gloves on a toilet which was blocked and filled to the brim (and into which my ex addded some extra contents due to her rampant IBS).

Enjoy your lunches, everyone... ;)

OP
OP
Night Train

Night Train

Maker of Things
goo_mason said:
Ex-girlfriend of mine is a vet; she never bothered with a toilet brush or a plunger to shift any sunken dreadnoughts that were causing blockages in the pan. She had a supply of armpit-length rubber gloves (used for the arm-up-the-cow's-nether-regions jobs) and she's simply don one and clear it with her hand... :angry:

Mind you, I once did the same sans-gloves on a toilet which was blocked and filled to the brim (and into which my ex addded some extra contents due to her rampant IBS).

Enjoy your lunches, everyone... :angry:
I had a blocked and cracked sewer pipe in my garden that caused the sewerage to back up and flood the garden. The pipe was a straight drop of about 14' to the main sewer and full of poo. I dug out the garden around the pipe to expose it and remove the cracked junction and my ex wife fished out as much of the poo as possible by hand wearing one of those shoulder length gloves (it was her poo after all) before I was able to find the drain rods to clear it properly. I then laid new drains and reconnected her toilet.

Top Bottom