Tooling up

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi Peeps

Two or more of these in service and sick of not having the right bit of kit to repack then.

20141121_174344.jpg

Do I need the Park HCW11 and not the HVW 18, or perhaps a different manufacturer still produces these wrenches?

Thank you

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Imho the only essential tool for adjusting that bb is a C spanner of suitable size and quality for the lockring, because I subscribe to Sheldon's suggestion (what he refers to as Kentucky windage) here, since the cup would be loose, and can be rotated, in your case by e.g. nothing more than a flat bladed screwdriver.

None of those "adjustable cup" pin tools can possibly resist the huge torque you need to tighten the lockring without damage.

OP
OP
Ed no-more-lemons
I get what your saying RAFN, but the Cup that needs tightening does not turn as the lockring is tightened, so no windaage. Added to which the cup will not tighten with the screwdriver method and from past experience removing these cups this way can be a slow, noisy and frustrating job.

You need the right tool for the job but instead of buying the tool, buy a modern style BB that doesn't need adjustment and its installation tool. That type of BB is extinct and it will be a waste to buy the tool just to remove it. Get one of the very reasonably-priced Shimano BBs such as UN-52

young Ed

Veteran
You need the right tool for the job but instead of buying the tool, buy a modern style BB that doesn't need adjustment and its installation tool. That type of BB is extinct and it will be a waste to buy the tool just to remove it. Get one of the very reasonably-priced Shimano BBs such as UN-52
agreed
something like the shimano un26 or 55 should do the job fine ad would fit a budget

just make sure you get the right size by measuring your current axle
Cheers Ed

Top Bottom