Top Twenty Film Stars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
...as in not the best film actors of all time, but, rather, those actors that illuminate a film, turning it into something else.

My list is obviously weighted in favour of Hollywood's golden era with only five entries whose best work is in colour. And if pushed for a top ten, I'd simply take the top ten on the list

Marlene Dietrich
Greta Garbo
Clark Gable

Bette Davis
Marlon Brando
Marilyn Monroe
Alec Guinness
John Mills
Yves Montand
James Dean
Jeanne Moreau
Zbigniew Cybulski
Orson WellesEdward G. Robinson

Glenda Jackson
Jean-Louis Trantignant
Robert De Niro
Catherine Deneuve
Klaus-Maria Brandauer
Jodie Foster Lauren Bacall
Carmen Maura

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Want any more?.....

Charles Laughton
James Mason
Greer Garson
Margaret Lockwood
Tuesday Weld
Christopher Lee
George Segal
Rod Steiger
Robert Donat
Jean Simmons
Vivian Leigh
Humphrey Bogart
Deborah Kerr
Jaqueline Bisset
Jacques Tati
Walter Matteau

yello

I'm surprised to see Jodie Foster on your list dell. I agree, she's one helluvan actor but she ain't half been in some crap!

Al Pacino anyone?

But I'm waiting for someone to upset me big time. There's a name that usually crops up on such lists that never fails to have me spitting and stuttering in incredulity!

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
yello said:
But I'm waiting for someone to upset me big time. There's a name that usually crops up on such lists that never fails to have me spitting and stuttering in incredulity!

Dell's already done that for me with Robert De Niro who only ever plays Robert De Niro. ;)

yello

threebikesmcginty said:
Dell's already done that for me with Robert De Niro who only ever plays Robert De Niro. ;)

Ah, well, yes, maybe... but he certainly does own a film - which is what I think dell meant!

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I'm not apologising for de Niro, despite some of his later films being tripe. Taxi Driver, Deer Hunter and Raging Bull would be enough. He captures Brazil, and lifts Pacino (who I'm not fond of) in Heat, although I'd accept that few actors look bad in a Michael Mann film. I even have a soft spot for Falling in Love. But, yes, he has freewheeled through a few films.

Jodie Foster is more difficult to justify. There is that ghastly film Contact. But then again there is Taxi Driver, and Silence of the Lambs and Little Man Tate. Point taken, though - marginal. Lauren Bacall it will be.

I did toy with Nicole Kidman (if only...). Would that have done it for you, Yello?

yello

aaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhh :biggrin::angry:!:biggrin:

;)

I have never ever understood the lure of that whiny aussie!

You didn't have to remove Jodie Foster btw. I reckon she must be a 'difficult' person to work with. For me, it's the only reason why she hasn't had such good roles. Personally, I think she can be exceptional... given a good film to work with.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
I nearly put Edward G Robinson in. Keep Orson too - Make it a 'Top 50'

Edit - Any room for Richard Widmark? - oft overlooked and best playing
villains, described once as looking most at home when sat in an electric chair.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Nicole Kidman is the perfect star who can't really act. In 'The Others' she tries the acting mullarkey, but doesn't quite pull it off. But in (blue touchpaper time, Yello) 'Moulin Rouge' she is sensational.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
No place for Robert Mitchum? Gene Kelly? James Stewart? Gene Hackman? Toshiro Mifune? And there's other people who just dominate the screen like James C. Scott or Gerard Depardieu... And no list like this would be complete without Peter Lorre or Lon Chaney, surely...

And then there's Marilyn Monroe - surely the archetypal 'star', Bardot, Hepburn, and more recently, Sandrine Bonnaire - who is the quiet centre of anything she's in.

Top Bottom