Top Twenty Film Stars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

...for that way lay Albania.

Jimmy Stewart, yes. A formidable and often understated screen presence.

Of modern era, and it chokes me to say it, but I have to quietly admit to liking Leonardo DeCaprio and Johnny Depp. I think both can take a role and make it work. Oddly, though why I'm thinking of him now I'm not quite sure, Daniel Day Lewis is often cited in the same sort of category but for me he plays caricature rather than character... if that makes sense.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Flying_Monkey said:
No place for Robert Mitchum? Gene Kelly? James Stewart? Gene Hackman? Toshiro Mifune? And there's other people who just dominate the screen like James C. Scott or Gerard Depardieu... And no list like this would be complete without Peter Lorre or Lon Chaney, surely...

And then there's Marilyn Monroe - surely the archetypal 'star', Bardot, Hepburn, and more recently, Sandrine Bonnaire - who is the quiet centre of anything she's in.
well, to be fair, Marilyn Monroe is on the list, and the others are all pretty darn goof (except Depardieu and Bardot) but - not top twenty.

Daniel Day Lewis is a star in Last of the Mohicans - as is Rafe Ffienes (sp?) in 'The English Patient', but they're a bit too actorly. I'm beginning to regret leaving out John Wayne, though.

Top Bottom