Topeak mini morph pump

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gixxerman

Guru
I have Halfords mini pump that can't get the pressures required for my Trek 7.3FX tyres.
Also as it attaches to the valve directly (no extension tube), it is very easy to damage the valve when pumping.
So, I bought a Topeak mini morph pump. However, I have having some issues with it.
1) No matter how many times I try to rearrange the bits in the head, I cannot find an arrangement that will sucessfully inflate a presta valve. One arrangement I found seems to the correct one, but even this will not work correctly. It takes a lot of force to get it on the valve, and even then it leaks unless you hold it onto the valve whilst pumping. My track pump works fine on the same valve so I know the valve is OK.
In the end, the bloody useless thing snapped off the top screw of the valve, thus knackering the tube.
I am not very happy about this, as I expected better fom Topeak.
Have I done something wrong or is the pump not working correctly?
I am thinking of just getting a presta to schreader convertor as this will protect the very delicate presta valve top screw.
2) My Trek 7.3FX only has only one mounting point on the seat tube (2 screws). This is already in use by my bottle cage.
The Halfords pump came with a mount that was a side mount and would fit beneath the bottle cage and still leave room for the pump. The mount that came with the Topeak pump does not.
So I am finding it very difficult to find a mounting point.
I have tried the top tube, but it fouls the rear shift cable.
Any ideas of how I can mount it?
Is there a similar side mount bracket for the Topeak?
I cannot use the Halfords pump mount as the clips are the wrong size.

redjedi

Über Member
It should have come set up ready to use with Presta.

This video shows how to change it to Schrader, just reverse what it says.

Apparently there is a side mount, but I can't find it on the web. Try emailing them.

OP
OP
Gixxerman

Gixxerman

Guru
It should have come set up ready to use with Presta.

This video shows how to change it to Schrader, just reverse what it says.

Apparently there is a side mount, but I can't find it on the web. Try emailing them.

I have it in the correct orientation then, but it still does not inflate the tyre unless it is pressed down onto the valve.
I have tried 2 separate tyres and the result is the same. I am reluctant to try it too many times as it has already ruined one of my inner tubes.

Topeak do not seem to have any e-mail address contact either. Their website has a support link but that takes you to another site (Extra UK LTD).

redjedi

Über Member
You do have to press them on quite hard but I've never done damage to a valve yet.

Perhaps go to a local shop that sells them and ask to try a new out to see if there's any difference (even better if it's where you bought the pump from)

Extra UK Ltd will be the distributors in the UK and will be the ones to contact.

Svendo

Guru
Sorry you're having trouble. I've noticed that my mini morph onloy goes over the narrow top section of the presta valve immediately below the knurled nut bit, not over the main wider part unlike my track pump. I'm assuming you've got the locking lever in the 'up' locked position when trying to pump?
I was annoyed by the lack of a side mount unlike my previous topeak pump. I use the side mount from that pump anyway and although the clips don't actually clip the pump, the velcro band holds it tight enough.

Like svendo, I was wondering if you were trying to fit the pump onto the valve with the lever up in the locked position. If not try a bit of silicone spray or WD40 on the seal. I bought a Truflo Evolution pump for my 7.3FX tyres, very similar to the mini morph but slightly cheaper, but a good review from Bikeradar.
My bike's an 09 model and has 2 sets of bottle mounts.

OP
OP
Gixxerman

Gixxerman

Guru
I'm assuming you've got the locking lever in the 'up' locked position when trying to pump?

The up position is locked?
Is this correct?
If that is the case, it is the opposite to a schreader valve then.
I had assumed that the locked position was with the level in the down position (the level aligned with the pipe).
I will try it again tonight.

Top Bottom