Tough luck BMW t****r

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

twowheelsgood

sheddy said:
The sensible reason for buying a BMW is for the chain driven cam engine - which doesn't need a s0dding cambelt change every 4 years or so

Yes, but virtually everything else does. It's not that anything breaks or fails as such, it's they are finely engineered and set up for handling. One of the consequences of that is they are somewhat highly-strung and you really notice when things go "off". I had a 530i estate and it's by far the best car I've ever owned. But at 5 years old it was really the only one I tried that drove without some wheel wobble (I even noticed this in a police 5 series I had a ride in after a road accident). Really you have to look at replacing rubber bits or shock-absorbers in the suspension every 20,000 miles or so to keep it on top form and it ain't cheap. Same again every time you even lightly clip a kerb, a retrack at minimum. Enough to make me want a squishy Ford instead.

That's before you get to the £700 a set tyres.....

Anyway other cars have got better, the latest BMWs have much lower quality interiors than in the late 90s and the hideous iDrive system that you can't avoid, so unless you really love RWD you are probably better off with a mondeo. Worse still most UK BMWs are 4-pot motors, which really aren't that special. the whole point of a luxury or "executive" motor is that you get something other than a 2-up, 2-down banging away under the bonnet.

snorri

Legendary Member
beancounter said:
Am I:-

a) a plonker
:biggrin: a nobody
c) an ordinary bloke who likes really really nice cars but can't afford to buy a new one.
d) all of the above

Thanks

bc
You are at a cross roads in life, a time of self doubt, you are in need of support and reassurance.

;)

yenrod

Gerry Attrick said:
Mrs A and I were returning from a foray into the wolds this pm when along a straight section of rural road on which we were cycling two abreast, a plonker in a red BMW (had to be really!) arrived behind us and had to wait all of ten seconds for a car coming towards us. He nevertheless found time to lower the passenger side window to shout obscenities as he passed. Why is it always the BMW/Mercedes/WVM that feel the need to do this? Do BMW dealers and the like conduct a class of test to ensure all their customers have only one brain cell that functions (albeit with a fault)?

You where cycling 2 abreast !

OP
OP
Gerry Attrick

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
beancounter said:
Please help me:-

I have a BMW.

I bought it 5 years old at about one third of its new cost.

It's a really really nice car.

It's red.

a) a plonker
:smile: a nobody
c) an ordinary bloke who likes really really nice cars but can't afford to buy a new one.
d) all of the above

Thanks

bc

I was aware that a number of posters would fall into the category of WVM, BMW or Merc driver, but I did not say all such drivers are plonkers. Indeed, never having witnessed your driving to my knowledge, I am in no position to judge. My post relates to the considerable number of drivers of the said boxes who have endangered me or had an unjusifiable attack of verbal diarrhoea. (For the record, I'm a blue van driver sometimes).

beancounter

Gerry Attrick said:
I was aware that a number of posters would fall into the category of WVM, BMW or Merc driver, but I did not say all such drivers are plonkers. Indeed, never having witnessed your driving to my knowledge, I am in no position to judge. My post relates to the considerable number of drivers of the said boxes who have endangered me or had an unjusifiable attack of verbal diarrhoea. (For the record, I'm a blue van driver sometimes).

YOU didn't.

Girofan did.

It was him I was asking.

bc

terry huckle

Neither of my BMWs is red.

( BMW 320d....black, BMW318ci....dark blue)

I`m OK then?

Great cars incidentally, you should all get one.

Landslide

Rare Migrant
I saw four broken down cars on a recent trip up the M1 - one VW Beetle that had had an unfortunate meeting with the central barriers, the rest were all Beemers. Surprised me - do they not make 'em like they used to?

col

Legendary Member
yenrod said:
You where cycling 2 abreast !

So does that mean the only safe way for a car to pass is to give twice as much room as a normal vehicle,so canceling any cars chance of passing,unless it was dangerously done?
And before the usual kiddies jump on me,its a joke:laugh:

girofan

beancounter said:
Please help me:-

I have a BMW.

a) a plonker
;) a nobody
d) all of the above
bc

I would hazard that you are a very sensitive person who takes things to heart. I would not therefore claim you are ordinary, quite the opposite, extraordinary! A sensitive person owning a Beemer, that's a contradiction isn't it?

Top Bottom