Tour of southern Turkey - suggestions?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

toontra

Veteran
A couple of us are flying to Antalya in May for a 2-week cycle tour, staying in accommodation which we'd like to book beforehand if at all possible.

I've come up with a very rough idea of a route, starting NE to Konya, across to Izmir via the lakes and Pamukkale, and then back to Antalya mainly via the coast roads, going inland for any sights worth seeing.

We particularly like hill climbs, the higher the better!

Does anyone have any experience of this part of Turkey, cycling or otherwise? Any general advice about cycling/touring in Turkey (i.e. food, accommodation, customs) would also be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

oldjontrev

Turkey - why ffs, we could be at war with them by May

OP
OP
toontra

toontra

Veteran
We'll take the risk. There are large swathes of the planet that those of a nervous disposition would advise you not to go. If you only go to the "safe" places then you are really limiting your experiences, and the "safe" places (e.g. USA) aren't always that safe anyway.

the snail

Guru
Turkey - why ffs, we could be at war with them by May
Which would be odd seeing as they are part of NATO:banghead: Perfectly fine if you avoid the obvious trouble spots i.e. border with Syria. May should be lovely, not too hot, and turkey is beautiful in the spring, lots of green before the summer sun scorches everything.

OP
OP
toontra

toontra

Veteran
Indeed - more likely to be at war with Russia, in which case we're all in trouble!
We'll be well away from the Syrian border and don't plan on spending much time on the coastal towns facing Greece.

Top Bottom