Toyota Prius?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
To see what a Prius is like go and look at one- sorry, that sounds patronising but you'll know what I mean- you'll get a better idea. ;)
No point in buying a diesel if your mum just uses it to pop to shops and back as they cost so much more to start with- similarly you can get 70mpg from a Toyota Aygo [better still get a Citroen C1- same car but about £1000 cheaper!]

Better still don't bother getting a new one and get a decent second hand one and save money...

thomas

the tank engine
XmisterIS said:
How big is it? My mother is NOT a good driver, she currently drives a Nissan Micra - and she has trouble manoeuvring THAT! I have had to park it for her before because she got so flustered trying to park it herself! I am not joking ...

Just don't! There is no good reason for buying a Prius. They are rubbish cars and they are not good for the environment.

Also, if she struggles to drive a Nissan Micra are you sure she should even be on the road? If it is manoeuvres she struggles with she should probably do some driving lessons to improve.

What's wrong with the Micra? You just looking to trade it in for the £2k discount?

domd1979

Veteran
If you want a car that size and can afford 20 grand for one....!!

At the moment for anyone wanting to balance cost vs economy/CO2, there's cars several thousand cheaper that return pretty good figures - mostly of the small diesel variety.

CO2 emissions are very good on a Prius.

OP
OP
XmisterIS

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
My mum's micra is old and knackered, it would deffo be good to get the 2K discount!

Thomas - I have asked my myself and my Mother the same question - "should you really be on the road, Mother?!". When I am a passenger with her, she scares the living sh*t out of me! Holy moley, get me a cork to stick up my arse! But that's another story ...

If the prius is as nasty as people say it is, I think I will recommend the small diesel option to her. 50-60mpg? That is awful! I have a 2.0 litre turbo diesel Ford Mondeo 130ps ... and that gives me 50mpg! For 50mpg, I'd expect at least the acceleration of the Mondeo!

Globalti

Legendary Member
DON'T buy a Prius, the servicing costs will kill you.

Just go and buy a nice Micra or a Citroen C1/Peugeot 107/Toyota Aygo, not diesel, just the standard petrol model. We get 62 mpg from our diesel C1 and you'd get about the same at less cost from the petrol model. It's great to drive, nippy and easy to park.

MajorMantra

Rigid Raider said:
DON'T buy a Prius, the servicing costs will kill you.

What are you basing that on? I'm fairly sure it comes with a 5 year warranty (at least my Dad's did) and it hasn't cost any more than any other car to keep running.

I think the Prius is a somewhat flawed car (though again, the newer one is almost certainly better) but some of the comments here seem a little extreme. It's not a rubbish car - it has some pretty impressive technology under the bonnet and it's reliable and piss easy to drive.

Matthew

OP
OP
XmisterIS

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
MajorMantra said:
piss easy to drive.

You haven't met my mum .... you know the type; the woman in Tesco's carpark, backing and filling for 10 minutes trying to get her tiny car into a space big enough for an artic lorry while the ever-lengthening queue of waiting traffic looks on, thinking, "WTF is she doing?!" ... That's my mum ... :ohmy:

She wrote off one of her previous cars trying to park it in her own garage - she drove it straight into the wall. As far as I could gather following the incident, she just popped it into first, made sure it was pointing right at the wall, and just let rip ..

Top Bottom