trains into manchester

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

upandover

Guru
Hey,

I'm about to start a new commute, cycling to rainhill, and then on the train into Manchester for 8:40ish. That's the plan anyway.

Does anyone use the trains on this route at rush hour? Will I have trouble with a bike?

Thanks, steve

Hicky

Guru
Foldup bike....at that time you shouldn't as the rush should be over....test run maybe?

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Depends on your location really. If the trains from your location are anything like the trains from my location, getting a full size bike on in rush hour could be a pain. The trains are getting worse in terms of over crowding on the line I use, I've lived out of the city centre for just over a year now, I used to get a seat on the train most days, now I can barely get in the carriage and a couple of times I've not been able to get on and had to wait for the next train! If there are any delays, the situation is far worse. I see a bloke take his folder on though, so he manages.

Coming back out of the city in the evening could well be worse than the way in, some of the trains going out of the city between 5-6pm are utterly bonkers!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Depends on your location really. If the trains from your location are anything like the trains from my location, getting a full size bike on in rush hour could be a pain. The trains are getting worse in terms of over crowding on the line I use, I've lived out of the city centre for just over a year now, I used to get a seat on the train most days, now I can barely get in the carriage and a couple of times I've not been able to get on and had to wait for the next train! If there are any delays, the situation is far worse. I see a bloke take his folder on though, so he manages.

Coming back out of the city in the evening could well be worse than the way in, some of the trains going out of the city between 5-6pm are utterly bonkers!

On yer bike you... slacker. :tongue:

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Is bringing the bike into Manchester necessary to get to your workplace from the station or could you secure it at Rainhill & as a regular maybe get pally wirh the staff there to keep it out of plain sight?

I tend to be travelling against the rush hour flow at that time when I'm entrained and all the trains coming into Manchester empty a heck of a lot of passengers out but few with bikes. They do tend to have a bike carriage with a few seats removed to facilitate 2-3 full size bikes per side of the aisle, but I dont know on a busy train how much ppl would use this as standing room. I've never had a issue with my foldy ones either in the luggage rack or sitting next to me when I can get a 2 width seat direct behind a 3 width seat.

OP
OP
upandover

upandover

Guru
Thanks guys. I've been wondering about leaving it, but I like riding my 105 synapse, which I'm loathe to leave. It's also a 20 minute walk on the other side, so I'll save 15 minutes every morning, which on a 90 minute commute is a lot. At the moment I use the train and bike fairly often to Chester and Ellesmere Pot, but it's against the flow.

The trains mostly have some good bike spaces when I get on at Lime Street, and people do move out of the way for the bikes, but getting off can be a pain, and it depends which train is in use. I think I'll need to experiment and see whether I can get on the train with it, and whether then it makes it to hard to sit and relax (assuming sitting room!) I'll also have a chat with the parking staff though. I have use the cages in Chester before - I'll look what they have.

I may try one morning next week, just for one stop and then cycle back home. :smile:

Thank you. :smile:

400bhp

Guru
My gut feel is you'll be OK. May be trickier on the way home. And you will get days where you can't get on, no matter what.

Mr. Cow

Über Member
If the train from rainhill is a Transpennine express diesel type and you don't mind standing, I've found it's often best to get in one of the vestibules where the disabled toilets are and stand sort of out of the way with the bike. The tip up bike seats are often full of sitters, prams or maybe, just maybe, other bikes. As long as you aren't obstructing stuff the conductor is usually fine.

Northern/Arriva - no idea, sorry.

LeonBlack

I've seen people with bikes refused to be allowed on the rush hour trains back from Manchester to Liverpool; so watch out for that.

Feastie

Über Member
I'm amazed they let you take full sized bikes on trains at all during rush hour. On Great Northern nee First Crapital Connect, regardless of how full the train is or isn't you're forbidden to take them unless they fold... but I think not taking a full sized bike in a real rush hour Great Northern train is actually just common courtesy, those things are packed out like you wouldn't believe and a bike takes the space of 3-4 people all shelling out their thousands of commuter £££.

Not a crit of you, maybe your trains are bigger or have dedicated bike areas, but just pointing out that you should also check to see if there are arbitrary rules about non-foldables. For all that I think it's a good rule, I've also watched nearly empty trains leave me behind in 'rush hour' at 19:00 when the staff won't let me on with a bike...

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
In my experience with a full size bike they can be really arsy about on Northern and Transpennine. There are bike spaces but IIRC they are limited to 2. So it will depend on who has got there before you.
I'd avoid peak times with a full size if at all possible. Trains certanly to and from Warrington get very busy at peak times and as was said earlier in this thread, I too have seen bikes refused when it was busy. Off peak the conductors seem more relaxed about multiple bikes in a carriage.

Last edited:
OP
OP
upandover

upandover

Guru
Thanks Guys, I'll take a look next week on a trial run. I've not seen the trains into Manchester at rush hour, so I'll have to experiment. I've been using trains for 18 months in Merseyside though, and cross country before that with almost no issues, so hopfully it'll continue. :smile: Manchester is probably busier, but I've found that there's always a way. :smile:

Forgive me if I ignore the 'common courtesey' bait. :smile:

Thanks ever so much
Steve

mythste

Veteran
We really are lucky in merseyside, I bike a lot and use merseyrail/northern/london midland very frequenty and have never had a problem. If you want to extend your ride, maybe ride to south parkway and use the secure storage there? You apply for a keyfob and its locked away pretty well - and free!

OP
OP
upandover

upandover

Guru
Thanks. I didn't realise that had that at South parkway now.

That would be easier, and I may end up there, but it's a) closer to cycle (too close I think) and b) an extra £20 a week in fares, which adds up.

Thank you though - it;s nice to know they've improved the storage there! I have a fob for Capenhurst, and it's excellent. :smile:

Top Bottom