Transferring material from camcorder tape to dvd

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Willow

My ex took the videos of the children when we separated and was going to get them put on dvd for my birthday but it hasn't happened. I haven't used the camcorder for so long that I was thinking of getting rid of it. Got it out at the weekend and found some old tapes that were recorded on (unedited of course).

I would like to edit the tapes and put them on dvd. The camcorder is about 11 years old ie predates dvd players. I have managed to set it up so I can view the tapes via the telly (ah...... such sweeties) but can't seem to connect it to dvd so it then plays via that to telly. not helped of course by my sky/dvd/telly connections. I've tried so many lead combinations I get the feeling that once I disconnect the camcorder the telly/sky won't be operational which will be a b****r.

Is it possible to do this if so how or is there an easier alternative method ie. via the computer?

OP
OP
W

Willow

Not mac xp, no idea about the other bit!

The boys have arrived from school and they have an hour watching themselves as littleys, trouble is the camcorder is obviously nearly dead because you can only play it if you keep your finger firmly pressed on play which isn't much fun for that length of time. Could watch it all night but need to feed them before football.

Willow, are you wanting to transfer this stuff via your computer or do you have a recordable hard drive DVD player you are trying to use?

I can advise you on how to transfer the contents to your computer and edit it via a device you have to buy, cost about £50. You need a reasonable spec PC as well, which if you have XP is likely to be good enough these days. The actual editing is quite simple too, shouldn't take you more than a few enjoyable hours to become quite accomplished.

As for the camcorder, do you know what it is, Hi8 or otherwise and how have you connected it to your telly, is it via a cable like this or this The important thing is the tapes, the camcorder can be replaced if it breaks.

OP
OP
W

Willow

Crackle said:
Willow, are you wanting to transfer this stuff via your computer or do you have a recordable hard drive DVD player you are trying to use?

I can advise you on how to transfer the contents to your computer and edit it via a device you have to buy, cost about £50. You need a reasonable spec PC as well, which if you have XP is likely to be good enough these days. The actual editing is quite simple too, shouldn't take you more than a few enjoyable hours to become quite accomplished.

As for the camcorder, do you know what it is, Hi8 or otherwise and how have you connected it to your telly, is it via a cable like this or this The important thing is the tapes, the camcorder can be replaced if it breaks.

Hi crackle,

I actually used both those devices at the same time but I have no end of scart lead and other connections. The camcorder is an Hi8. I do have a recordable DVD but feel it would be easier to edit on the computer.

Ok Good.

There are no end of devices on the market to do this. Personally I would recommend one that plugs into a USB port rather than a card you have to put in. The device I have is Pinnacle Dazzle which will capture your video off your camera and then allow you to edit it. You can get devices which will just capture the video and then you can use the in-built windows moviemaker in XP. You want to be careful because any device you buy must be capable of taking an analogue (Hi8) input and not just a digital one, hence the Dazzle recommendation. This is not a great example as it was my first attempt but this is what Dazzle will allow you to do. Sorry it's a bit crap quality on Google. Once created, you can burn stuff straight to DVD.

Now some technical stuff. Video is pretty intensive stuff. Lots of people have trouble with installing and using video editing software, though these days it's much better. Mine installed no problem and worked first time but be warned. You need a lot of free disk space and preferrably a 2nd disk to capture the video too but not necessarily. Each tape will use about 3-5Gb of disk space, you need to make sure you have that space before you start, otherwise you'd have to start upgrading your PC.

I'll let you digest that first to see if it's for you and perhaps see if there's some other suggestions besides mine.

OP
OP
W

Willow

Excellent, thanks disc space appears to be ok so I'll give it a go.
Have to say my machine needs a bit of housekeeping so will get on with that.

Defragging is critical for video work. It needs to be done regularly once you start using the software.

OP
OP
W

Willow

peanut said:

There is a lot that needs editing - typical school plays, parties etc. what if they edit out the wrong children!

OP
OP
W

Willow

I'm so glad I cycle if only to get t he non cycling advice from this website :ohmy:

I haven't been on the bike for 2 weeks for one reason or another going to a struggle commuting next week

peanut

Willow said:
Hi crackle,

I actually used both those devices at the same time but I have no end of scart lead and other connections. The camcorder is an Hi8. I do have a recordable DVD but feel it would be easier to edit on the computer.

If you have a DVD recorder that is able to record TV programs then that would be the easiest route by far.
Record onto DVD+ RW then edit the DVD on the PC
You need to get some DVD+RW (re-recordable disks) that way you can add and delete from the disks as much as you want in little bits . You can edit out unwanted sections of the tapes that way The DVD+RW disks are also easier to finalise than plain DVD+R disks and more likely to play in your computer DVD drive.
Make certain you buy the right disks for your recorder. They will either be DVD-RW or they will be DVD+RW few recorders will work with the wrong sort of disk.

gbb

Legendary Member
Your camcorder may have (but probably wont bacause of its age) have either a usb or IEE1394 outlet.
If, and its a big if, you have IEE1394 (shaped a bit like a usb2 output)...it transfers data a lot faster than usb. I struggled like the clappers with usb.

What camcorder have you got willow ?

OP
OP
W

Willow

gbb said:
Your camcorder may have (but probably wont bacause of its age) have either a usb or IEE1394 outlet.
If, and its a big if, you have IEE1394 (shaped a bit like a usb2 output)...it transfers data a lot faster than usb. I struggled like the clappers with usb.

What camcorder have you got willow ?

canon uc -x30

Top Bottom