Transferring material from camcorder tape to dvd

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
No it's an Hi8 analogue with s-video and composite output, I've got the X50.

As Peanut suggests, if your DVD recorder has a Scart input, you can use a Scart adaptor to attach your video lead from the camera direct to the recorder. It also may well have a composite input - composite consists of 2 audio channels (red & white) and a video channel (yellow) which is how it may be marked and to just to confuse things it may not use those colours but just be marked audio and video.

It could also have a single s-video input, which is the single black lead. That by itself, carries all the audio and video info and you don't need the other lead.

If you can get the signal from the camera to work you should be able to record it.

peanut

the easiest way to connect this up might be to utilise his existing connection to the TV from the Hi8 (presumably composite ?) and connect the DVD recorder to the output scart connector onf the TV set
If the recorder has one touch recording Willow can play the tape until he reaches the bit he wants to record then press the record button .When the stop recording button is pressed the recorder should finalise the recorded session on the DVD+RW disk automatically. After about 20 seconds it should be ready to record the next section on the same disk.

OP
OP
W

Willow

Crackle said:
No it's an Hi8 analogue with s-video and composite output, I've got the X50.

As Peanut suggests, if your DVD recorder has a Scart input, you can use a Scart adaptor to attach your video lead from the camera direct to the recorder. It also may well have a composite input - composite consists of 2 audio channels (red & white) and a video channel (yellow) which is how it may be marked and to just to confuse things it may not use those colours but just be marked audio and video.

It could also have a single s-video input, which is the single black lead. That by itself, carries all the audio and video info and you don't need the other lead.

If you can get the signal from the camera to work you should be able to record it.

this was where I came unstuck, I have all the necessary adaptors and could get it to play on the telly bypassing the DVD player but I could not seem to get it to connect through the DVD to telly with scart leads, black input or red/yellow/white. By this stage I gave up on the basis that a) I didn't know whether the camcorder was too old to feed through DVD (?)and :biggrin: I didn't want to muck up all the connections as I have sky and dvd - I didn't want to forget where the leads came from in the first place!
(getting to the back of these things to see what you are doing is never easy) The other problem I have now discovered the play button on the camera is not working well (didn't try the camcorder remote which may be better) so I am not sure how easy it is going to be to edit direct to DVD. I have however got the blank DVD's and the first one was formatted raring to go! I know if I can get it set up as we used to with the old Video the editing function is easy enough (though time consuming). Perhaps I'll have another go when I've got more time and will pull the whole lot out from the wall so I can see what I'm doing.

(willow is a she by the way)

No the camera is not too old and the way Peanut describes it may work better but would mean more pulling out of Scart leads than trying to hook the camera directly into the DVD recorder. I don't have a DVD recorder so I'm not familiar with how exactly they work, which is why Peanut's advice sounds good.

peanut

Well I had the same problem recently when I got a DVD recorder to record TdF off my Sky+
The problem with taking the camera direcly through the recorder first is you have to fiddle around with all the channels and inputs on the remote in order to get the camera signal to go through the recorder to play on the tv and record the signal ono a DVD at the same time :biggrin:

Actually if you want to plug the camera into the recorder rather than the tv this is what I do on mine.

Plug the camera leads into the recorder's inputs. Take a scart lead from the recorder's output to the tv's scart input 1 socket.

Place a DVD+RW disk in the recorder and press the record button then immediately press the pause button.

Press the play button on the camera.

Then if you haven't got a picture on the tv you need to need to press the `Monitor' button on the recorder's remote handset. That should get your camera playing on the tv screen.

When the camera reaches the point you wish to start the recording you press the pause on the recorder handset which should start the recording .

When you reach a bit of the recording you don't want pause the recording on the DVD handset whilst you advance the camera to the next bit you want and so on.

Top Bottom