Trek 6 series, any good?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John -S

Im going to be training for and cycling the West Highland way on a MTB...

I have a Muddyfox ascent which i dont think is quite good enough and i like the Trek 6300 and 6700.

My budget might not stretch to the 6700 but the 6300 seems just as good to me.

Any ideas folks? cheers.

zexel

Veteran
Trek bikes are a pile of crap and fall to pieces as look at them...

...well that's what a lot of people on here say. :tongue:

If it fits and you like it, that's what is important.

There might be objective differences between them in the componentry, but the differences are minor at best in terms of functioning at any given price point, and are not anywhere near as important as the above factors.

It is a nice bike by the way. :thumbsup:

Zoiders

The MTB range from Trek...well technically there is nothing really wrong with the hardtails but they are rather heavy right up until you start hitting the upper mid range price wise.

Trek bikes are a pile of crap and fall to pieces as look at them...

...well that's what a lot of people on here say. :tongue:

If it fits and you like it, that's what is important.

There might be objective differences between them in the componentry, but the differences are minor at best in terms of functioning at any given price point, and are not anywhere near as important as the above factors.

Interesting, would not buy any other make myself, my Trek Road bike is still going strong after 9 years of ownership, and 14,000 miles in the last 2 years....

zexel

Veteran
Interesting, would not buy any other make myself, my Trek Road bike is still going strong after 9 years of ownership, and 14,000 miles in the last 2 years....

I'm with you on this. I was waiting for all the Trek haters to come out of the wood work. :biggrin:

zacklaws

Guru

Same here, I stick to Trek and never had a problem with any of my road bikes. Plus I cannot recall seeing anyone mentioning on the forums that they drop to bits.

Zoiders

Is 25lb heavy for an MTB?
No 25lb is good but the 6300/6700 are from way up the product range.

Also remember that they are head down arse up XC bikes so you might not like the riding position, they aren't all day trail bikes and you won't get the best from them using them that way.

Pick a MTB for what you want it to do, not just because it's lighter.

Same here, I stick to Trek and never had a problem with any of my road bikes. Plus I cannot recall seeing anyone mentioning on the forums that they drop to bits.

I see your list of climbs mate, very very impressive, especially Winnats
a killer !

zacklaws

Guru
I see your list of climbs mate, very very impressive, especially Winnats
a killer !

Winnats was an oddity, it was hard to get into a rythmn, due to all the people walking down the side of the road getting in the way, and then cars squeezing past and stopping in front of you in the gaps, it seems to be a popular place to visit for tourists but I'd sooner cycle it on a quite day

OP
OP
J

John -S

Thanks guys, can anyone recommend a good all day trail bike?

The Trek 6300 would be better than my Muddyfox by a long way,

but not sure about the arse up head down position... can it not be adjusted to suit?

Top Bottom