tricross 2011 vs 2012

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Aleksic

Hi all, I'm looking for a bike that can deal with a 10 mile commute, weekend rides and possibly even an audax or two if I ever get fit enough.

Does anyone have any comment on the relative merits of these bikes? I'm talking about the basic model as both are within £50 of each other and just in my price range (max £600)

The 2011 appears to have a carbon fork, how much of a difference is there between carbon and alloy forks? Both are clad in 2300 and have canti brakes as far as I can see.

So which of these would you go for, or would you recommend something else?

Or maybe I should just go for a triban 3 and be done with it ^_^

D

Deleted member 20519

The 2011 has:

Full 2300 Groupset.
Carbon fork with aluminium steerer.
Mavic CXP22 Wheels
£549

The 2012 has:

Full 2300 Groupset.
Alloy fork.
Alex S480 Wheels
£595

The 2013 has:

Full 2300 Groupset.
Aluminium Fork and Alloy Steerer.
Axis Classic Rims.
£750

To be honest, if you're dead set on getting a Specialized Tricross then I'd go for the 2011 model. The wheels on the 2012 and 2013 models aren't much of an upgrade from the Mavic CXP22's and the lack of carbon fork means that the bike is heavier and won't ride as smooth. However, you could get the Triban 3 like you mentioned for £300 which has the same specs as the Tricross or wait until August (I think) and get the new Triban 5A for £399 which has 2013 Sora which is better than 2300 and it has the paddle shifters instead of the thumb shifters. You could then spend the £200 that you've saved and get really nice set of wheels which could take the bikes weight down to sub 10kg.

:biggrin:

OP
OP
Aleksic

Aleksic

Thanks. I'm not dead set on the tricross, but I think I want something a bit more robust and/or relaxed than a pure road bike. Some of my commute is on rough tracks so I like the idea of a bike that can take a few knocks in i's stride.

Top Bottom