Tried a scott...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KyleHW

after a trip to Evans today to test the Scott Speedster 30 (Compact 2014) i have realised that choosing a bike isnt as easy as first thought.
I was not fully aware that Scott as a brand were a out and out Racing brand, geometry and frame etc etc its all another language to me at the moment.
I tried a Fuji Roubaix 1.5 a week ago and found it much softer and easier, however i wasn't absolutely lashing it like i was today. I LOVE the look of the Speedster 30 and i have a clear preference for it but im not sure if i will be able to adapt my riding style to suit it.
I wont be Lashing it every time obviously but is it worth being on the fringes of a size boundary and adapting to a bike that i can get on a stunning deal and have for years as i wont be growing anymore....

-KyleHW

MikeW-71

Veteran
There are 2 styles of road geometries. Racing and Endurance/Sportive.

Endurance geometry will give you a slightly more upright position and will tend to be a bit more comfy, Racing will be a lower position, more responsive, can be a harsher ride. As you've just found, bikes don't feel the same, so it's worth testing a few to see what you really like. Buy the one that you enjoy the best.

As for sizing, if you are in between sizes, it's usually recommended to go with the smaller frame size. Don't buy the wrong size just because it's a good deal. You will regret it.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Don't Scott do a more relaxed range too if you like the brand?
Solace afaik

As @MikeW-71 an endurance bike will have a longer head tube but playing with stem length/angle can help a lot , i have just raised my stem by a 1 cm spacer + moved the saddle back closer to KOPS on the commuter and it felt more comfy .
I went from an ass up , weight forward position to a more endurance set up with the same frame.

Top Bottom