Trinity Portable Wind Turbine

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bof

Senior member. Oi! Less of the senior please
About 4 years ago I bought a portable wind charger gizmo you attached to your handlebar - this was when you had to know electronics and make your own USB charger for dynamos. The gizmo found its way into a bin in foreign fields by day two of the tour. Get a dynamo and get a light (lumotec have one) with a USB port.

stuee147

to be honest i used a dynamo for when im riding the i also have a free loader solar charger that i use for night charges i also plug a led light into it for a tent light and if its hot i have a little fan that plugs in. i started off with just the free loader but found it took ages for it to charge with the silly little built in solar cells so i got the large solar cell i clip it to the top of my rucksack or if im on a bike i just clip it to the panniers and it will charge the freeloader full in about 3 to 4 hours depending on how strong the sun is.
Freeloader-Globetrotter-Kit.jpg

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
From what little I know the output of a wind turbine increases in proportion to the cube of the blade length. Which mans that bigger is much much much better. And conversely, smaller is much much much worse.

So, from my relatively ignorant position, I'd have thought that a small turbine isn't of much use at all unless it's ... say ... to keep the battery topped up in a remote weather station or something like that, and even then I think you'd be better off with a solar cell of some description.

Still speaking from my position of total ignorance, I'd have thought that a dynamo hub on the bike would be zillions* of times more efficient than lugging around a windmill. Although this could possibly be handy if you had a semi-permanent base camp in a windy location.

*at least.

I could be wrong. I sometimes often usually am.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Still speaking from my position of total ignorance, I'd have thought that a dynamo hub on the bike would be zillions* of times more efficient than lugging around a windmill. Although this could possibly be handy if you had a semi-permanent base camp in a windy location.

*at least.

I could be wrong. I sometimes often usually am.

Not all dynamo hubs are equal. The SON Deluxe is optimised for LED lighting and struggles to charge my Samsung Galaxy S3 phone via an E-Work charging unit. Even so I reckon that it's better than the windmill. I'm currently considering alternative hub dynamos to replace the SON Deluxe.

Not all dynamo hubs are equal. The SON Deluxe is optimised for LED lighting and struggles to charge my Samsung Galaxy S3 phone via an E-Work charging unit. Even so I reckon that it's better than the windmill. I'm currently considering alternative hub dynamos to replace the SON Deluxe.

I have a SON 28 dynamo which I use with a PedalPower+ Super-i-Cable. I had no worries charging my Samsung S3 nor do I have any issues charging my HTC One. Maybe a setting on the E-werk is not quite correct?

Andrew

Yellow7

Über Member
Vernon, do you have 700c or 26" rims? At the same speed a 700c will yield slightly lower output power against a 26" due to less rotations over the same comparable distance.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Vernon, do you have 700c or 26" rims? At the same speed a 700c will yield slightly lower output power against a 26" due to less rotations over the same comparable distance.

I have 26" rims. The problem lies with the Dynamo which is optimised for LED lighting - didn't know that at the time I was speccing the bike. LED lights require a much lower current than incandescent bulbs.

Top Bottom