Triple Chainset

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

colly

Re member eR
I'm fixing up my Granddaughters boyfriends bike for him. It has a chainset which has a stripped thread for the pedal. (it appears to be made from cream cheese) The chain set is a cheapo and I cant even replace just the crank arm. Everything is rivited together.

So I'm looking for any triple chainset that will work. Not bothered about teeth numbers or scuffs etc. I've sorted the rest of the bike, brakes, headset, cables, seatpost and so on.
It's just this chainset that's needed to complete the job. I would buy a new one but he is pennyless. :smile:

Many thanks.

I’ve got a square taper brand new crankset like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/38630484...ar=653839715374&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

£10 and it’s yours posted.

Attachments

• IMG_6499.jpeg
    IMG_6499.jpeg
    143.3 KB · Views: 8

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Great offer by @bikingdad90 .
You need to check the number of teeth on the big (outside) ring are the same otherwise you'll need to lengthen/ shorten your chain. If it's within a couple of teeth I wouldn't bother.
Your daughter's boyfriend might have caused the cross threading by trying to use the wrong pedal (they're handed). Don't make the same mistake, the pedals are marked L & R, or simply not started them by hand. Best way to remember is tighten move spanner towards the front of the bike and towards the rest to remove (both sides,).

Last edited:

Big John

Guru
Good offer by bikingdad90. For the sake of a tenner the job's sorted. Just make sure the new chainset is compatible with the bottom bracket. It's not always a case of 'old one off, new one on'. It sounds like you know what you're doing so we'll assume you have the right tool to remove the cranks.

Just a suggestion...
I had a similar issue with a cheap bike. I took the bile to a local bike shop. The mechanic carefully threaded the pedal from the other side and it created a new thread. Then he took it out and threaded again the way it should be. It worked !

OP
OP
colly

colly

Re member eR
Thanks for the replies.

@bikingdad90 has saved the day.^_^

OP
OP
colly

colly

Re member eR
Good offer by bikingdad90. For the sake of a tenner the job's sorted. Just make sure the new chainset is compatible with the bottom bracket. It's not always a case of 'old one off, new one on'. It sounds like you know what you're doing so we'll assume you have the right tool to remove the cranks.

Careful, don't be too sure. And yes I have the correct tools.

Top Bottom