Tuesday, Wrote Mr Kipling...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Pig

Advert for cakes?

Kovu

Über Member
Jo25 said:
That is what first came into my mind. But wasn't sure whether it was Rudyard not cakes?

Kipling did do some decent poems though, but I am unsure whether that was ever a line in of them. His If poem was always one of my favorites.

Nerd xD

Many moons ago this was the phrase introducing TV commercials for Mr Kiplings (mass-produced) "homemade" cakes. A honey-voiced gent, posing as the fictitious Kipling, would read as if from the venerable baker's diary. Each day was devoted to a new and tasty cake on the pretend menu such as the Fondant Fancy, Cherry Bakewell and Battenburg. Yum, yum.

longers

Legendary Member
Apparently they make a giant French Fancy nowadays.
Not sure whether that's :smile: or :tongue:. Better try one soon and find out.

Mr Pig

Despite the impression given by the ads, all of the cakes were terrible. Still are.

colly

Re member eR
djtheglove said:
I've had one of his small french Tarts but never one of his Giant French Fancies!:tongue:

I have had a couple of French tarts as well over the years................just don't tell my missus though.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Nothing to do with Rudyard, as far as I know. Googling the phrase merely brings up references to the cakes, so I doubt it's from a poem.

If - I suppose it's all very laudable, but rather sentimental for me, I think the Law of the Jungle has more music in it...

Top Bottom