Turbo Vs Rollers

turbo trainer or rollers?

• turbo trainer

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • rollers

• neither.... not worth it

• quit cycling and start swimming....there are no hills in swimming!

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

montage

God Almighty
not sure where to post this, so going to post in the Cafe where there will hopefully be many helpful responses in the usual Cycle chat fashion.

I am not looking to replace any of my riding with turbo trainer/rollers...(unless the weather is absolute crap) .... turbo training will be for early mornings/ very high intensity training in addition to what I allready do (I like getting out on my bike....but for racing stationary training seems a nessessary evil).

So what is the advantage of rollers over turbo trainers?
I understand that with rollers you have to maintain balance, which surely means you cannot push yourself quite as hard as you can on a turbo trainer.

I have old tyres to use with whatever I purchase, and would like to buy from ebay/ second hand as it will be faaar cheaper.

Will1985

Über Member
I have both. Rollers are useful for balance training but don't really offer any real resistance. A turbo will serve you better in the long run.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
I voted for neither, i dont bother with any of them. I just go out on my bike instead.
I could see the point of my going on some rollers or a turbo before i do a TT though, to get my legs spinning on the fixed to get the lose and ready to spin fast. But instead i just go down a long steep hill before to get them spun up.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Turbo, but far better off doing intervals on the road, or using geography to do that....

I've had rollers - if you come off you'll fly to the other end of the garage........;)

Plax

Guru
The only thing I've tried are the rollers. My dad's neighbour used to do a lot of cycling and passed it on to me (along with a really cool bike maintenance stand). I've only been on it a few times. If you fancy a broken arm after falling off it then the rollers are the way to go ;)

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Keith Oates said:
That brings a whole new meaning to the word 'spinning'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It does.
Hes missing the mean woman at the front thats in charge shouting "COME ONNN!!!" really loud to get him to try harder.
I wonder if she does that in bed:wacko:

Young Un

I find my turbo trainer good for interval sessions because you can really try hard. BUt I wouldn't mind some rollers for warming up at the start of races and the start of TT's, because setting up a turbo seems like too much hastle.

Top Bottom