1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tyre pressures on road bike

Discussion in 'Technical Know How' started by Stockie, 30 Mar 2012.

1. Stockie

Stockie Ticking the boxes

Hi guys. Just taken delivery of my first road bike and going out on it tomorrow. Question is should tyre pressures be at maximum, minimum or somewhere in between pressures stated on side of tyres. Also I read somewhere that back should be higher than front is this true????? Any advice would be helpful.

2. Nebulous

Nebulous Senior Member

Now this is a question which really gets people going. Lots of opinions - no real answers.
    Things to take into consideration are:-
    rider weight - heavier = higher pressure.
    road surface
    personal preference
    For what it's worth I tend to go towards the top end, particularly on the back, and leave 5-10 psi of difference between the two.

HLaB and coffeejo like this.
  3. raindog

raindog er.....

Stick 100psi in and you'll be ok

4. compo

compo Über Member

I just do mine bloody 'ard as I haven't a pressure gauge that's of any use.

5. battered

battered Well-Known Member

Why not start in the middle and then try either side and see what you prefer? It's free.

2clepto and tyred like this.
  6. biggs682

biggs682 keep the steal its the real thing

as per sidewall .

7. I'm not a heavy rider (9st 7 ish) so I tend to go with more comfort and grip; I run 90-95psi front, 100-105psi rear and don't top up if the roads look skittish. However, heavier riders tend to pinch p'ture more and need to ride their tyres at or near the max to reduce the chances of it happening. Folk say harder tyres roll better too but I can't notice the difference and IMO the more comfortable you are the longer and faster you'll be able to go. You need to find the right balance of comfort/grip and p'ture resistance for you.

8. kevin_cambs_uk

kevin_cambs_uk Über Member

I run at anything over 110 in both front and back, seems okay to me

9. Dave7

Dave7 Senior Member

On my previous bike I had 23mm and used to pump them till they felt OK/hard when squeezed. Then I decided to get a "proper pump" with guage and pump them to the recommended mid pressure.........:eek:-it was like riding an old bone shaker. I soon changed to 25mm and lower pressure which helped a lot.

10. 110psi front and rear. I use Continental GP4000S 700X23 tyres and the maximum recommended pressure for the 23's is 120psi

11. smokeysmoo

smokeysmoo Jaffa Cake Apprentice

I use GP4000s and Gatorskins on my two bikes, but as I'm a bit of a heffalump I run them at their max.

12. billy1561

billy1561 BB wrecker

145 psi in both my ultremos :ohmy:

13. Nearly there

Nearly there Über Member

Being a heavier rider I have mine hard 100 psi front 115 on the back

14. tyred

tyred Veteran

The width of the tyres need to be took into account.

15. Jdratcliffe

Jdratcliffe Well-Known Member

i run mine at 115psi front and back Specialized all conditions top psi is 120 on side wall in only 12st ( 6ft 1) and i notice the different in ride if they drop 5/10psi softer yes but feel "wrong" to me but as with all answers experiment as there is no "right" pressure i used to have them at 100 and they felt slow and sluggish so try it out get a decent pump try the mid range and ride the same loop adjust the pressure as you do it each time.