User Albums (photo gallery) - Now installed

Shaun

Founder
I've installed the user album add-on this evening so you can now upload your photos again.

It works differently to the previous software gallery - these are individual albums rather than communal galleries.

I still have all the old gallery images though and will work to transfer them across to the new software as time allows.

Enjoy,
Shaun :biggrin:

postman

Legendary Member
Fettled mine it's up and running.

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
OK questions:

1. How do I delete a picture as it says I don't have permision
2. Can you have an album with sub albums in it such as "Phils Pics" with sub albums of different rides.
3. Can you pick which picture is used as the preview pic on the main albums list page.
4. How do you re-order the pictures.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
OK questions:

2. Can you have an album with sub albums in it such as "Phils Pics" with sub albums of different rides.
3. Can you pick which picture is used as the preview pic on the main albums list page.
Phil has beaten me to it with these questions - I was about to ask the same ones!

I posted one picture and then discovered that I have a 'widescreen' version which I prefer but I can't get rid of the old one and don't want to display both.

OP
OP
Shaun

Shaun

Founder
OK questions:

1. Try it now - there is only one delete permission, for albums, which I've enabled. Let me know if you can delete images now?
2. No.
3. No.
4. You can't; at least not without deleting them and uploading in a different order.

It's a basic add-on that is still in development, so as new updates become available I'll upload them and advise.

Have you noticed the photo-roll-over effect? Move your mouse from left to right across an album and you'll see the thumbnails flash up for each image in the album ... neat eh?

Monkspeed

I have created a couple of albums and tried to upload some pictures but I get a server error saying it's too big. What are the size limits?

Cheers.

ColinJ

I've deleted and replaced the photograph that I wanted to, and deleted the duplicate one. so thanks for the delete function.

I'd already noticed the roll-over and I like that.

We've covered the question of image sizes recently elsewhere, but I think it would be good to at least have a recommended forum photo size limit. 1 MB or 2 MB is way too big. If you can't impose a much more sensible limit (Say 256 kB?), could you not at least suggest a maximum pixel size of (say) 1,000 pixels? The only possible justification for permitting larger sizes is to allow non-technical people to post their pictures fresh from their multi-megapixel cameras, but there is no need to do so when it is easy to shrink them to a forum-friendly size.

I suggest that you do one of your 'How to' posts - 'How to post reasonable sized photographs'. Point them to ShrinkPictures.com, and ask them to select the custom/1000 pixel option, download the smaller picture to their computer and then upload that to CycleChat!

test.jpg

That was a 4000 x 3000 pixel image which was 4.3 MB in size. I just shrunk it at ShrinkPictures.com and it took about 80 seconds, nearly a minute of which was uploading the original file, which kind of illustrates my point!

Monkspeed

2MB file size limit.

Cheers,
Shaun :biggrin:

Hi Shaun,

It appears that I am still having problems with uploading pictures.

I have shrunk their resolutions down to 1920 x 1080 and consequently reduced filesize down to about ~1.20MB, however the server is still rejecting them on the basis that they are too large.

Is there also a resolution restraint?

Cheers.

EDIT: I have edited the pictures further to bring them under 1MB and they now upload OK. So I assume the limit is really 1MB?

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
I suggest that you do one of your 'How to' posts - 'How to post reasonable sized photographs'. Point them to ShrinkPictures.com, and ask them to select the custom/1000 pixel option, download the smaller picture to their computer and then upload that to CycleChat!
Incidentally, there's a superb freeware program called Fotosizer http://www.fotosizer.com/ which will do this in batches on your own computer - no need to upload for conversion. It's a tiny program, works flawlessly, allows you to choose the amount of resampling and compression, and also will do batches of photos if you want. Then it's simple and quick to upload the newly small photos wherever you want to put them. For most photos on t'web, more than 1000 pixels wide is pointless - you'll get a jolly good display with a file size of not more than 250kb.

ColinJ

Incidentally, there's a superb freeware program called Fotosizer http://www.fotosizer.com/ which will do this in batches on your own computer - no need to upload for conversion. It's a tiny program, works flawlessly, allows you to choose the amount of resampling and compression, and also will do batches of photos if you want. Then it's simple and quick to upload the newly small photos wherever you want to put them. For most photos on t'web, more than 1000 pixels wide is pointless - you'll get a jolly good display with a file size of not more than 250kb.
Even better!

(I was going to suggest Irfanview, which is what I've used in the past, but I thought if people weren't savvy enough to be already resizing their pictures, I wanted to give them the most simple way of doing it!)

OP
OP
Shaun

Shaun

Founder
EDIT: I have edited the pictures further to bring them under 1MB and they now upload OK. So I assume the limit is really 1MB?

Yes, sorry, my mistake - it's 2MB for the forums, but only 1MB for the user albums. :thumbsup:

Top Bottom