Venice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RabbitFood

When you got for drinks even for Tea drink as close to the bar as you can because they will charge you more for your drinks the further away from the bar you are. If you sit right out on the outside on the edge of st marks square then you get charged more, but then thats the best place to be of course lol.

Dont bother with maps you will get lost for sure and when you eat try to find the local restrants, ie the ones that have menus only in Italian as the food will be better and cheaper then the touriest places.

Aslo try find the jazz bar with all the bras on the celling best bar on the island.

Rabbit

U

User169

Andy in Sig said:
Definitely not. Perhaps the authorities have got a grip because somebody has metioned that the leather goods sellers have gone: that being the other irritating thing besides canine products, loads of Africans trying to flog you fake Gucci. I was last there at new year four years ago.

You should try talking to them - they may well be more interesting than you imagine.

http://newhumanist.org.uk/1855

theclaud

Openly Marxist
RabbitFood said:
Dont bother with maps you will get lost for sure and when you eat try to find the local restrants, ie the ones that have menus only in Italian as the food will be better and cheaper then the touriest places.

Aslo try find the jazz bar with all the bras on the celling best bar on the island.

Rabbit

I couldn't disagree more. But then I love maps. Venice is a small city, and its shapes are seductive and memorable. Getting lost is one kind of pleasure, but mapping it, in your head and on the page, is another.

theclaud said:
I couldn't disagree more. But then I love maps. Venice is a small city, and its shapes are seductive and memorable. Getting lost is one kind of pleasure, but mapping it, in your head and on the page, is another.
Maps are pretty much irrelevant in Venice. All you need is a rough idea of where the landmarks are and navigate by that.

I'd really, really hate to be a postman in Venice. :biggrin:

RabbitFood said:
Dont bother with maps you will get lost for sure

Have to disagree here (but sort of agree at the same time). The maps in the guidebooks will be useless. What you need is the ones the hotels have (and maybe tourist info, but our hotel gave us ours), where it looks as if it's been drawn by hand. They're the only ones where you can sortof keep track of where you are by the exact angles of buildings/bridges etc.

Failing that there is the 'ask a local' trick, but the instructions are along the lines of 'right, left, over the bridge, right, right again, straight, over the bridge, left, you can't miss it'. (alternate ending - 'it's easy') Maybe take a notepad and pencil to write it down with :rolleyes:

Top Bottom