Very High Heart Rate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bpsmith

Veteran
Recently got a HRM and been testing during a few rides. At 38, the guideline max heart rate should be 182. On an almost all out 20 mile ride I can easily average 184, with peaks higher than that. Did a casual ride on Sunday and hit 202 on a hill. Also did the Zwift FTP test last week and maxed at 204 towards the end. Heart rate is always around 170 when on the bike averaging 16-17mph cruising.

I don't feel bad when riding at all and never light headed or in pain. Do I need to worry about this high heart rate?

Anyone else seeing their heart rate this high?

MissTillyFlop

Evil communist dictator, lover of gerbils & Pope.
I am not sure it solely goes on heart rate and on age.
I think it's dependant on a number of factors. But if you are concerned, go see your GP.

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
Have looked online and there are others that have such a rate too. I also understand that the age link is simply as guide, that attempts to fit all.

Am still keen to see if any other CC'ers are similar mind you.

From what I understand there's quite a lot of variation in max HR across people. The important thing is how you feel. Mine isn't as high as yours but I can comfortably stay at 170 for an hour or so and I'm 48. I was always taught that recovery rate and other indications like dizziness etc were more important than an individual's number. (I'm no doctor though so I agree with Miss TF, see your doc if you're concerned)

Citius

You will not establish your MHR using an online guide. Without knowing your true MHR, it's impossible to know whether your recorded HR was unusual. But on the assumption that you didn't die, then I'm going to suggest it is normal.

Meanwhile, forget the online calculators and do a proper MHR test. See the training forum.

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
I'm 45 and my absolute max is 192. It doesn't sound like you have too much to worry about. What's your resting heart rate? If it's around 60 you just seem pretty fit.

Citius

And by the way - anyone who responds to this thread with details of their own age and MHR - with respect, just ignore them. Nobody else's figures are relevant.

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
Cheers guys. I am no more worried than before I got the HRM and was oblivious. Just intrigued as a few mates have commented that it's unusual.

Have tried with chest strap tight and looser and get similar results tbh.

Just measured my resting HR, using an App that uses the Flash to optically measure from your finger. 2 tests, while sat on sofa for 10 mins, showed 56 and 58. Using one of the rough guides again, this is borderline between "Excellent" and "Athlete", which surprised me. I am not in bad shape, but I wouldn't say Athlete mind you. :smile:

I did the FTP test to see how HR was, after a mate suggested it. Will look up the MHR test.

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
There is nothing like training with a mate doing TT work and seeing your HR start to max out whilst you are struggling to hold his wheel, then pow, off the back. :laugh:
I have a mate who is unbelievable on the bike and very fit indeed. On that 20 mile route, I was pushing for pace and did it in an hour and a minute with a bit of a cross wind. My mate knocked 4 mins off that without breaking a sweat. My AHR was 184 and his was 134. Lol.

I expected a difference as he rides 4-5 times a week at least and I get 2 rides if I am lucky. :sad:

I have a mate who is unbelievable on the bike and very fit indeed. On that 20 mile route, I was pushing for pace and did it in an hour and a minute with a bit of a cross wind. My mate knocked 4 mins off that without breaking a sweat. My AHR was 184 and his was 134. Lol.

I expected a difference as he rides 4-5 times a week at least and I get 2 rides if I am lucky. :sad:
Yep, that's just cheating! :laugh:

Top Bottom